Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a "Check Engine' light on now for a while now. I had a local parts place check the codes and it came back as insufficient EGR flow. He said 99% of the time it's the EGR tube from the exhaust to the intake manifold being blocked.

It was driving ok except for a little stumble, so I left it for the longest time. Today since it was a nice day I thought I would take it apart and see if I could find out if it was the tube.

Once I had the tube off I cleaned as much of everything internally as I could with pipe cleaners. Once cleaned out I tried to blow into it. I covered the bottom "outlet" that leads up to the DPFE sensor and I could not blow through the tube. I tried blowing into the upper tube that goes to the DPFE sensor as well, and I could get air out the top, but nothing through the bottom.

I could get the EGR valve to operate without any problems.

I determined that the blockage was in the corrugated section of the tube that's between the two offshoots that go to the DPFE. I couldn't get a large pipe cleaner passed it. I poured some ATF in the tube and left it for a while and then drained it out. Some light taps and some crud fell out. I was able to blow through the tube easily now. There is still some blockage it seems, but is there something INSIDE that corrugated section?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I thought the car was fixed as it was running much smoother than it has in a long time, but the check engine light came back on today on the way to work.

It could be the DPFE. I will get the codes checked again and if it's still the same error I'll go to the junk yard and get a new tube. I'll cut the old one apart to see what's inside it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (JamesGT @ Jul 20 2009, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740797
Well, I thought the car was fixed as it was running much smoother than it has in a long time, but the check engine light came back on today on the way to work.

It could be the DPFE. I will get the codes checked again and if it's still the same error I'll go to the junk yard and get a new tube. I'll cut the old one apart to see what's inside it.[/b]

Do you have a picture or a description of this tube (for the layman, sorry). I am having endless EGR codes and already replaced the valve and sensor, but still have a check engine light.

THanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts