Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why my egr pressure sensor would melt along with the plugon a 92 with a 3.8? My hell, If its not one thing its the another. :angry:

Just looking for reasons it would happen:forum_Logo:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Known to happen with Ford's plastic DPFE sensors. Re-design by the aftermarket is supposed to fix that.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Clogged cats/exhaust. That will push more hot gases thru the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Its a 92, and has PFE, not DPFE. None the less, clogged cats would be my first guess. Neither PFE or DPFE has exhaust gasses "flowing thru" them. They are both just pressure sensors.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Melt

Its a 92, and has PFE, not DPFE. None the less, clogged cats would be my first guess. Neither PFE or DPFE has exhaust gasses "flowing thru" them. They are both just pressure sensors.
They are not supposed to have exhaust flowing. If they have a ruptured diaphragm, then they could have flow. Of course if that happens, there is likely some other issue, like you mentioned with the car being plugged.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I was short. Long version: A clogged cat will create backpressure and rupture that diaphragm... therfore the gases trough it and melting it.

Yes, normally that should not happen and the plastic used for sensor is fine there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I second what sonic says. I had to install a new catted y-pipe on an escape 3.0 because he was taking it to another shop and it kept burning off the DPFE sensor and making the EGR valve go bad. The exhaust will find the path of least resistance whether its the DPFE hoses or the tailpipe, up until it kills the engine.

EDIT: I said catted y pipe, but I meant catted front and rear manifolds.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do i test exhaust pressure? Is it like a compression test or what? I'v always been told to bang on them it they have rattling inside change them if not they're fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Remove the O2 sensor on the bank you want to test. Make up a threaded assy to screw in the O2 bung and run that to an "old style" carb vacuum / fuel pump pressure tester that reads up to about 8 psi pressure. Run engine at 2000 RPM and note the pressure. Repeat for the othe bank. Ignore any codes gerenerated by the missing O2 sensor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
should the engine start without the egr pressure sensor on it. (burned up and havent got a new one.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Probably the original problem (clogged exhaust) will not let you run the engine anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have never seen one so clogged it wont at least idle and move a little bit. It will start fine without the pressure sensor hooked up. In the past we used to have to look at catalyst efficiency codes and use the old bang on it test (this will only show a knocking converter though, not necessarily a clogged one.) FWIW, the o2 sensor threads are 18mm in diameter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason I ask is I try to start it and it about runs the battery down before it fires. It has fuel pressure and spark.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I found out my cats are clogged. In fact theyre so clogged they blew my exhaust manifold gaskets. Any suggestions for places that sell cheap cats? I perfer flow threw style but right now I would take anything that is cheap due to me not having a job. when I say cheap I mean like $50 bucks per cat or less.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can price an aftermarket catted y-pipe from your favorite local exhaust guy for a few hundred probably. Usually, the FWD pipes are twisted enough to make installing a universal converter very difficult. The cool thing is that since you have a 92, there is no catalyst monitoring, so no cats wont cause any check engine lights or other symptoms.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
...The cool thing is that since you have a 92, there is no catalyst monitoring, so no cats wont cause any check engine lights or other symptoms.
Except the fact that he will fail a emissions test if his state/county requires one :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts