Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while going around a corner I heard a pop and hissing noise. So, I pulled over at the nearest parking lot to have a look under the hood. It was night and I had no flash light, but I noticed that the lower hose popped off of the EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor, so I stuck it back on and jumped back in the car, it popped right off again soon as I hit the gas. So I limped back home since I was only 20km away.

This morning I went out and took the pressure sensor off to look at it. One thing I noticed was that the hose that popped off it is rotten. I tried vise gripping the ends of the hose to the pressure sensor and the hose split at a weak point while revving it. The other odd thing is that the PCV valve was hanging out of the valve cover, which really has me wondering wtf. The sensor in question makes rattling noises when you shake it, like something is broken inside. Is the hose bad or more likely the sensor itself?

Also, my transmission is acting up now, though slightly unrelated to this. 1st and 2nd are very hard to get into, I was doing 90 km/h in 2nd and I had no od for a while at over 100 km/h. I think it popped off while I was revving the engine since it wouldn't shift into 2nd. I really think the days are numbered now.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hose and sensor are bad. Replace hose, try to find silicone that will stand the heat better, and a new sensor as they are not supposed to rattle.
I called the only place open on sunday and they wanted over $100 for it. I'm going to head over to a local you pull it in the morning with five of these cars in the yard. Stupid local parts retailers.

·
Registered
23,632 Posts
You need those special silicone hoses (for exhaust heat). Dont even attempt to use vacuum or other. You can get a decent-priced good borg-warner dpfe at adv. auto or oreillys. Might be able to get the silicone hoses there too. Odds are not too great youll score a decent one at a pick n pull. Maybe the hoses.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need those special silicone hoses (for exhaust heat). Dont even attempt to use vacuum or other. You can get a decent-priced good borg-warner dpfe at adv. auto or oreillys. Might be able to get the silicone hoses there too. Odds are not too great youll score a decent one at a pick n pull. Maybe the hoses.
Good point. But, I'm very worried that the transmission is truly on its last legs. The new thing is that 95% of the time it barely makes it out of 1st and 2nd, then about 25% of the time it won't go into OD right away. I'm pretty sure the transmission will crap out in the next two weeks, so I'm currently looking to replace the car entirely with something that isn't worn out. Truthfully, it's a wonder that the car is on the road the way it is. I really don't want to have to spend money on it at this time.

If I can't find something at the wreckers, I might consider sending it there instead and putting the cash from it into the next vehicle. It'll be a Taurus or an F150, likely.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news:

Found an almost brand new sensor at the yard today, along with an almost new set of hoses. Got it all for $10.

Bad news:

When I took it for the first test drive, I did a uturn and when I had my ass out in the middle of the road I popped it into reverse and nothing... It did go but I got pretty nervous about it. So I guess the transmission is about done, so I'm going to probably ditch the car in the next week or so once it stops working completely. Second and first barely make it, along with OD and now reverse, can't just drive around with 3rd :p

Any idea what might have failed in the transmission? Losing 1st 2nd, sometimes OD and now reverse?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts