Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Taurus GL with 74,000 miles on it. Recently the computer has been throwing an "EGR - Insufficient Flow" code at me. I replaced the EGR valve and the light went away for one day and then came back. Now it is idling rough and feels restricted. Any thoughts where I should go next?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,631 Posts
P0401 is due to a failed DPFE sensor 98% of the time. The other 2% would be rotted / disconnected hoses to DPFE sensor or plugged EGR passages in the intake / throttle body, or a failed EVR (EGR vacum regulator) solenoid. Ford EGR valves VERY rarely fail. Who told you to replace the EGR valve for this code?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,631 Posts
DPFE is on the back of the intake, attached with 2 bolts. Has 3 terminal electrical connector and 2 hoses that go to the pipe between exhaust manifold and EGR valve. It is around 2" x 4" x 3/4" in size.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,631 Posts
Yes.... on OBDII Ford cars, it is a Differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor (DPFE). PFE (Pressure Feedback EGR) was used on some EEV IV / OBDI Fords where monitoring actual EGR flow was not required.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top