Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I had engine light checked and it came back EGR Insufficient air flow.
I have a 2001 Mercury Sable Premium LS 121,000 miles 3.0 Durotec
I read here several things to check , but I wanted to throw in a couple other things going on w/ the car to see if it may narrow my search on the problem first.
If you accelerate in ODrive,or AC on there is a considerable stumble in acceleration.Also while sitting still at a light for example you can feel a stumble infrequently .Barely changes the tach.Once your at speed w/ cruise on it's fine.Only when under a load does it stumble.
My wife said when it reached 0 degrees here for a couple days the engine light went out & ran fine.But when the outside temp warmed up the problem started again.
I've changed plugs, wires, & fuel pump and tried fuel cleaners.No help.
Any ideas where to start again? Thanks alot in advance for anyones opinion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
^ +1

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
+2

I saw a writeup where a Ford engineer called the bad-DPFE stumble, "trailer-hitching." It's a hitch in your git-along that's feels like a loose trailer tugging and pounding behind you.

For our '94, since I'm cheap as hell, I went to a pick-and-pay and popped four DFPEs off same-gen engines in the boneyard for $5. The first one I tried worked.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 6 2009, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706207
QUOTE (01 Vulcan Ford @ Mar 6 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706204
I replaced my Dpfe and nothing changed. Replace your cam synchronizer.[/b]
It's a Duratec, no cam synchronizer. :)
[/b][/quote]

Thank you all for the replies. Just wondering now if someone could tell me the easiest way to get to the dpfe.I believe it's on the back of the engine by the firewall under the intake.Ford did a good job hiding this one.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do the Vulcans also do this when the dpfe goes bad? Mine just started doing this, it stalled out on me with the a/c on in stop and go traffic the other day, and it idles funny now. At first I thought I had bad gas, so I added a can of Sea Foam with no changes. I know mine sits right in front of me when I open the hood. No check engine light on, yet, and I still average 26+ mpg.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (austex04 @ Mar 7 2009, 04:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706292
Do the Vulcans also do this when the dpfe goes bad? Mine just started doing this, it stalled out on me with the a/c on in stop and go traffic the other day, and it idles funny now. At first I thought I had bad gas, so I added a can of Sea Foam with no changes. I know mine sits right in front of me when I open the hood. No check engine light on, yet, and I still average 26+ mpg.[/b]
Check the IAC. It's probably stuck closed. You can clean it with some TB cleaner, but chances are it will stick again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all. Replaced the DPFE and didn't lose too much blood. Ran car for about 5 miles with a/c on & in Odrive. Seems to run ok now.I'm still gonna wait a day or so before I rejoice.. Thanks again to all who replied. I bought one at Auto Zone for 39.99. Hope it works.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
He was referring to the very common problem of the vulcan "camshaft synchronizer" chirping. Your car has a camshaft position sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts