Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last thursday, I was driving home from school when my MIL came on. it was running fine and all the fluids were good. so i took it to auto zone and had the codes checked on it. it came up with EGR Flow Insuffiecent" so the guy gave me fuel additive and told me to use premium and it should go away. well, i've done that and the problem still persists. any idea on what to do from here, or what that actually means?

·
Registered
167 Posts
DPFE would be the first thing to check.

Since you say car is running fine there are probably not any vacuum leaks.

If DPFE desn't solve problem checks the EGR ports behind the throttle body, they get plugged after about 145K miles

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
As the guys said above the DPFE would be your first and best bet. They tend to throw a P0401 code - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficent Detected when they go bad. IIRC it is like 57 bucks or so from AZ and it's a real easy install, two vaccum lines and one electrical connector. If you do go to AZ to get it ask for a EGR Pressure Valve because they will :headscratch: if you ask for a DPFE sensor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
And if you should feel like testing the DPFE sensor you have in your car before shelling out the 57 bucks here is the test proceedure from the ford service manual.

The DPFE sensor test:

l Disconnect pressure hoses at D.P.F. EGR sensor.

l Connect a hand vacuum pump to the downstream connection at sensor (intake manifold side of sensor or the smaller diameter pickup tube).

l Key on, engine off.

l Access DPFEGR PID with a scan tool and note PID value.

l Apply 27 to 30 kPa (8 to 9 in-Hg) vacuum to the D.P.F. EGR sensor and hold for a few seconds.

l Quickly release vacuum.

-- The DPFEGR PID voltage must be between 0.2 and 1.3 volt with the key on and no vacuum applied.

-- The DPFEGR PID voltage must increase to greater than 4.0 volts with the vacuum applied.

-- The DPFEGR PID must drop to less than 1.5 volts in less than 3 seconds when vacuum is released.

l Does the DPFEGR PID voltage indicate a fault in the D.P.F. EGR sensor?

Yes
REPLACE damaged D.P.F. EGR sensor. RESTORE vehicle. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
RECONNECT D.P.F. EGR sensor. GO to «HE24».

Attachments

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone, I'll check out the test procedures when I have the chance. just a few questions, what does DPFE stand for? and how serious is this problem? since I'm currently an unemployed student that relys on my bull heavily, how long before this turns fatal?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Differential Pressure Feedback EGR

I don't think i have ever heard of it going fatal but like i said before it's like a 60 buck fix that you can easily do yourself if you have a socket set or access to one. Knowing that you can start to save up for it and change it out as soon as you financially can ;)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the EGR doenst hold a vacuum... it looks like my first engine part failure... oh well...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.