Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on this forum b4 and the discussion has come up about carbon deposits giving a P401 code alarm; where exactly should I look/clean these carbon buildups? I've replaced the EGR valve and DPFE sensor (used an Ecklin dpfe sensor but am replacing it with a motorcraft sensor) but still have the P401 code; thought maybe the solution could be these carbon deposits but am not sure where I should be looking; can someone give advice about this? Appreciate your help, thanks.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Unbolt & remove the throttle body from the intake manifold & carefully remove the gasket, if it doesn't come off with the throttle body. You should be able to see the EGR passageway right on the face of the manifold. It may look like a black streak if it is packed with carbon. There is also a passageway going in towards where the EGR bolts on. Both passageways need to be clean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have this code (P0401) and can't seem to get rid of it. So far I have removed the throttle body and cleaned out the EGR passageways, replaced the DPFE, replaced a bad vacuum line between the PCV valve and the UIM (a "U" shaped hose that had a hole and was COMPLETELY oil saturated, collapsed, and leaking). Replaced thePCV valve, and Tested the EGR valve by hooking up a vacuum pump at idle and the car almost stalled. Car is a 1998 SE with a 3.0 Duratec 24V with 150,000 miles and still runs well. I get about 25 mpg and need a few more years out of it. I have not removed the UIM or oil sep tube. Are there any other passages prone to carbon obstruction? Other common vacuum leaks? Is it worth it to remove the UIM and clean it out? Shouldmi replace the oil separator tube? Is there a way to test / check these out without throwing $$ at it? Many thanks!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
You can try a Seafoam cleaning. It's listed in the topic finder. Many people have had good results with it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
That is crap because I ran my car like this for over 50,000 miles and had NO issues whatsoever. I'm not going to say it doesn't increase combustion temps some, but I've done this mod on SEVERAL cars, and so far none of them have died and it's been YEARS since I did said mods on the other cars. The original car I did this to died a horrible death due to the new owner running it with a blow radiator hose for 2.5 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts