Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL light has been on...
can't pull codes, keep getting 000's or no response. 2 different code pullers.
so, going to work backwards instead, as there are no obvious short or sensor problems that I have found.

When swapping one of these computers, what exactly has to match when pulling one from the boneyard?

Engine, year make and model... can I use say a Sable...

any direction would be greatly appreciated...

thanx in advance...
joe

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
That will work just fine, I had to do that twice on mine a couple of years ago.

Its a little difficult but you may be able to wriggle around enough to look behind your glove box compartment to find your PCM code (ex mine was LKZ0). Chances are there differences between codes was minimal but why risk it? Try and find an exact match at the junkyard (same year tends to narrow it down)

Another resource is www.car-part.com thats where I got mine and they can be had for relatively cheap and shipping from the yards is reasonable.

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DMX...

thanx for the insights, but the real question is did it solve the problem?

been in the glove box and pulled it, and put it back in, so have nos. S1S2...

I'm heading to the boneyard today, so I'll let u know if it works out...

best...

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
No problem :)

It did fix the issues i was having (a bad tuner burned out my PCM ... twice). Its just simply swapping part x for another identical part x. If that was really the problem then you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Its basically just an add on chip that plugs into the PCM, i needed to add that because of all the stuff I had done to the engine. Unfortunately there was a bad batch and one of the ones I got ended up damaging my PCM.

My symptoms after the damage (and even after the chip was removed on the damaged PCM) were constantly running cooling fans, constantly running fuel pump when the key is on before you even start the car, and it was impossible to pull any codes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay.....

the results are in...

ordered a new ECU from car-part.com, great site...
got it from Elmer's in Wisconson, excellant service and turn around...

plugged it in, and the problems stopped... the CEL light, stalling for no reason everything except for the occaisional signature Ford crappy shift...

the real clue for me, was somewhere I read, or someone responded saying that "the fuel pump wouldn't shut off", with the delay, and kept running and the ECU was bad, changed it and it was fixed..."

that was a symptom of mine, after I had chased all the shorts, hoses, bad connections etc.

thanx, to all who responded... it all was considered...

Best,
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts