Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

In case you haven't heard, I am having transmission issues right now. I have taken it to the dealer where I have a BaseCare Warranty. The dealer was not able to find a problem with the trans, so I got it back today. I guess I will need to be stranded before they decide to fix/replace it.

I did get my AMS chip so I would like test it out at least to make sure its working. My plan was to buy a ECU from the junk yard and replace my current ECU with that one. I then will upgrade the old ECU with the chip and test it out. My question is, will the dealer notice that I changed ECUs? Do they have timers on it or could they easily that I made the change? Would the diag show the change?

I noticed that there are many ECUs that fit the same car. What if I put in a slightly different version (say, F7PF-CKC instead of the one I have F7PF-CLC)?

I need to stay within Warranty but I have some money invested in the chip. Should I just wait?

Tell me what you think.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Pats here, so can I use just any 1996-1999 Vulcan 3.0L ECU ?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
There are many factors that determine if the EEC's are compatible. Transmission type is important as well as engine. I would tell you to ask alberto, but Iv'e just heard that he is out until the 30th.

I can tell you this: The important thing is the four digit alpha-numeric computer code on the top of the EEC. For example, my EEC code is NXZ4. I have a spare EEC with the code NXZ2 that works as well (I verified compatibility with alberto). My EEC is for a vulcan with an AX4N. I know that Bob did have a spare EEC that was for a vulcan with the AX4S.

If you have the AX4N and want to pay shipping both ways, you can borrow my spare EEC.

EDIT: for reference, my local junkyard charged me $50 for the EEC.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will wait until Alberto gets back before I do anything. We have the same EEC code, NXZ4. The junk yards listed on http://www.car-part.com don't list them this way, they use something diffrent.

Hopefully, my tranny won't last much longer.

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know if I take you up on it.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Yeah, when I went to the junkyard to get my EEC they threw a big fit about the code. I asked for one compatible with a NXZ4 and they flat-out told me that it wasn't a proper computer code. I told them several times that I pulled the code directly off the EEC box, but they just stood there and called me an idiot and a liar. Then I called the dealership from the junkyard phone and verified that it was a viable code. Really pissed off the junkyard guys.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Jul 28 2004, 11:28 PM
Rub it in, jerkwad. :)
:lol2:

I waiting for some extra cash so I can send in the EEC for the Taurus and the SVT Contour. I may go ahead and purchase the Microtuner.

The Taurus and the CSVT have some mods comming that will require a custom program :uptosumpn:

but as always... "other" expenses have taken time and money away from my babies! :(

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by spridget+Jul 29 2004, 12:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spridget @ Jul 29 2004, 12:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silvapain@Jul 28 2004, 11:28 PM
Rub it in, jerkwad.      :)
:lol2:

I waiting for some extra cash so I can send in the EEC for the Taurus and the SVT Contour. I may go ahead and purchase the Microtuner.

The Taurus and the CSVT have some mods comming that will require a custom program :uptosumpn:

but as always... "other" expenses have taken time and money away from my babies! :( [/b][/quote]
Keep in mind Luke if you get the microtuner it only works as a flasher for one vehicle and one vehicle only at a time (just incase you planned on getting it for use on both the taurus and contour). The microtuner Vin locks itself to the first vehicle it flahses and after that it can not be used to flash another vehicle even though in theory you could have program on there for separate vehicles. I was looking at getting a program on my microtuner for a friends taurus when i bought it for my sable and Alberto explained to me that it could not be done that way. Just an FYI. It can still be used as a code reader on any ODBII vehicle though. ;)

James, Double check with alberto but i'm fairly certain that as long as you get a ECU/EEC for a gen3 vulcan with the same code on it you should be ok. :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 29 2004, 10:02 PM
not one vehicle but one pcm......
True ;)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
sweet. I emailed twEECer about the taurus, and they said maybe down th road they would write the program for it. I would get the twEECer over the AMS chip simply for the fact that you can reprogram at will if you ever make any mods to the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts