Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some pointers here as I was struggling trying to figure out the best way to attack the ECT sensor on my 2003 Duratec 24v. I'm hoping someone on here can let me know what they had to remove in order to get to this sensor. I can see it, could probably turn it, but can't reach the locking tab on the under side.

I got to this point by getting my first CEL ever on this car in 19yrs. She's been solid to say the least. P0125 which typically is a stuck thermostat in most cases but given the age and what I saw on my ODB scan tool of coolant never quite reaching more than 125 degrees yet my dash gauge always showed normal. I decided to change out the thermostat and both sensors just in case. All Motorcraft parts.

The sensor just behind the thermostat was easy, just remove a small clip/pin and out it came.
The thermostat was a bit more troublesome but I managed to get enough clearance removing the battery, battery tray, and the air intake box.

The last item is the ECT or CHT whatever it may be called. This is on the cylinder head and goes in with a 1/4 turn and a small tab that locks it in place.

My next go at it tomorrow may be to remove the throttle body and possibly get some pliers in to remove the thermostat housing as it seems that's the main culprit blocking my access.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to the question. I managed to remove the sensor today with just a little more pressure than what I expected and a small hook tool that helped me release the tab.

Now the hunt is on for the replacement. I have a MOTORCRAFT DY962 from Rock Auto but it seems to have a bronze/brass cover over the sensor where mine pulled out with just 2 small wires joined in a ball on the end. Someone else on the forums had similar results years ago. I may have to resurrect that zombie and see if I get lucky on the response.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I found the other thread and it clearly shows what I was dealing with (ECT Sensor 03 Duratec DOHC). The image below is from that thread and my sensor was just like on top and the new sensor just like on bottom. Now that I look at it I wonder if the bronze/brass part is stuck in the cavity possibly when I removed the sensor. Hard to say for sure since there is not much room and I didn't get my endoscope camera out at the time. If anyone can confirm this it would be helpful.

Gas Cylinder Auto part Engineering Metal

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your thread got me to thinking about this, too. My dash temp gauge has been whack for over a year now. I actually pulled one of these sensors off a JY donor with the intention of installing it to see if it corrected the problem...and, it still sits on my workbench. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the sensor I pulled (which has the Ford pt number to confirm it's original) looks like the new one you bought. So, I'd guess your assumption about yours pulling apart during removal is probably valid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your thread got me to thinking about this, too. My dash temp gauge has been whack for over a year now. I actually pulled one of these sensors off a JY donor with the intention of installing it to see if it corrected the problem...and, it still sits on my workbench. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the sensor I pulled (which has the Ford pt number to confirm it's original) looks like the new one you bought. So, I'd guess your assumption about yours pulling apart during removal is probably valid.
Thanks. I will note for the 03 Duratec there are 2 sensors yet. One behind the thermostat feeds the dash. This other one is in the cylinder head and sends to the PCM.

That said I'm dreading trying to get in there and fix this. Will probably need to remove the entire thermostat housing to get in there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And my fears are confirmed. Just called my local dealer and the part I have is the correct one which means the old sensor body is indeed stuck in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
406 Posts
In 2004, they went with this 1 sensor to handle both functions. And, it's difficult-to-access position is why my spare is still sitting on the workbench waiting for the day I have to change out the thermostat. Unfortunately, you are probably correct in that most of that menagerie of coolant hoses and t-stat hsg will need to be removed to gain viable access to removing that stuck piece. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and, once you can get a grip on it, will pop right out. Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In 2004, they went with this 1 sensor to handle both functions. And, it's difficult-to-access position is why my spare is still sitting on the workbench waiting for the day I have to change out the thermostat. Unfortunately, you are probably correct in that most of that menagerie of coolant hoses and t-stat hsg will need to be removed to gain viable access to removing that stuck piece. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and, once you can get a grip on it, will pop right out. Good luck!
Did you happen to source new hoses for your eventual work on your 2004? I managed to get a good look at the stuck sensor with my endoscope and I think it would be removable if and only if all tstat housing is out of the way. So if it's all coming out I might as well replace the hoses. I certainly won't do it again. I'm going to look on the forum here for results of hose brands others have used as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts