Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't think of a reason to flip it. Once the gears are out it won't weigh much, so I could turn the case easily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This could definitely come in handy!

One question - can the ax4n be tipped over like this and still used for service? Or is this for only when rebuilding a transmission? I want to change the filter&gasket before re-installing my new trans, but don't want to screw anything up by flipping it over (or is that just carburetors it's bad for? :p)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is an AX4S, and this is the position Ford recommends to remove the geartrain. I know they are similar, but I'm not 100% sure this is correct for an AX4N. You could do a search here and see how others have taken an AX4N apart.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Funny, yet very practical.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is also the position recommended in the ATSG manual and FSM to remove the gear train and VB components for the AX4N.

Question: Once the torque converter is removed, how heavy is the trans to pick up and put in its vertical position? Is it a 2 person job or can one fairly muscular person do it? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I also removed the valve body before lifting it. With that weight removed it was easy to place in positon by myself. Don't forget to remove ALL of the chain cover bolts inside the bellhousing before placing it on end (especially the very top one)(not that I would know from experience:unsure:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am curious but wouldn't you want the trans vertical to remove the chain cover so that the accumulator springs will not fall off? The manuals for the AX4N show removing the chain cover (and valve body, main control) with the trans vertical.

Thank you for your comments, it makes me think about how I will approach it when the time comes (hopefully no more than two weeks).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You are correct, but you have to remove the chain cover bolts inside the bellhousing before placing it vertical as they won't be accessible. After rereading my post I realize I did not specify this-I edited it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts