Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story but I'd accidently put my battery into the car, 180 deg bass ackwards (it was -50F wind chill) ...never hooked it up but my battery cables slightly touched posts and POOF!!! ECM is working still but ever since then, I've got a series of mystery chimes in sets of 5, it chimes for about 2 minutes long. The ABS light should be on and it's not, my seatbelt light is always on now, same with door ajar light. 70 degrees outside today, and car wants to stay on high idle like it's -20 or something.

Anyway, I'm needing to replace the ECM but unsure how that goes, will I need to get keys from whatever JY car I harvest the ECM from? I'd read another post on here, if memory serves well, I think it said if the last four digits of ECM match then you won't need the keys too. Correct? Please advise. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Key's codes will always be required to be entered into the PCM. Check all your fuses in both boxes. I am not sure that the Airbag is controled out of the PCM, there maybe a separate airbag module. If you use Forscan it can connect to the different modules and it is free download but you have to buy the interface but it is cheap online. Maybe you toasted the GEM module because it is controlled by that module. Do windows still have auto mode and you can move them after car is shut off until the doors are open( a GEM function)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy smokes! Thank you, sheila!! I was looking them up and trying to match the last four lol Thank goodness you're are here. I certainly appreciate ya!!
So I take it that 31FA is the important part.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
If you replace the PCM no matter what the numbers are you will need to program the keys into it to start the car. Some places sell keys and a lock tumbler along with the PCM

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can also get a copy of the IDS software that Ford uses. It is available on Ebay/elsewhere and program the keys as well as the immobilizer to the new ECU. ids for ford - Google Search
What is the usual going rate to have keys programmed to the ECM? Can they just go by the numbers on the ECM to program keys, or does the ECM need to be present to program?

Couldn't a guy get a tumbler + keys and an ECM all from a matching numbers JY car?

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Maybe a junk yard will have a matching PCM to yours and have the keys and tumbler but unlikely. They do sell sets online you will have to search for it. I bet a locksmith will be the cheapest way to go versus a dealer. Forscan program has the ability to program keys but it is not the free version you have to pay a little. I have not used it for that but some people on the forum have. Did you check all the fuses and also your GEM module may be the issue if your car actually runs ok.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After rereading your original post, I agree, I would be checking fuses.
Yes, I checked all the fuses with a fluke meter, all passed. Where is the GEM module that you speak of? Can it be replaced alone? Any way to test the GEM? Thanks for all the great information!!! I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
The GEM module is connected to the in car fuse/power distribution block. It controls the bells and whistles like the windows that roll down automatically and chimes but does not control idle speed if that is still an issue. I believe the airbag is controlled by a different module but not sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The GEM module is connected to the in car fuse/power distribution block. It controls the bells and whistles like the windows that roll down automatically and chimes but does not control idle speed if that is still an issue. I believe the airbag is controlled by a different module but not sure.
Wow! You've been extremely helpful! Thanks a million!!!

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Airbag is controlled by the RCM
Restaints control module.

Iirc, it's the "1st" 4 characters of the pcm label/sticker.
Is This the same as the "tear tag" code?
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Maybe a junk yard will have a matching PCM to yours and have the keys and tumbler but unlikely. They do sell sets online you will have to search for it. I bet a locksmith will be the cheapest way to go versus a dealer. Forscan program has the ability to program keys but it is not the free version you have to pay a little. I have not used it for that but some people on the forum have. Did you check all the fuses and also your GEM module may be the issue if your car actually runs ok.
Note, I have done this and for some reason, de programs the keys from the original pcm. I do not know why. This will add your original keys to the donor pcm.

No needed to use forscan
Remove ignition lock cylinder.

You could carefully remove the lock wafers and springs from your ignition lock cylinder.
This means a blank key would turn the ignition.

Re assemble ignition lock.

With two working keys from the junkyard(donor) pcm, enter programming mode.
Turn one working key to RUN position for a few minutes or until PATS light turns from solid to off.
Repeat for second working pcm key.

Remove 2nd (JY)key and start with your original key.
It's now programmed.

Repeat this again for any other Pats keys you have that match your original cut. If you only have one, buy another 40 or 80 bit Pats key from amazon for $9. Cut to match your original cut. Lowes has charged me for a cut in the past, but recently did not.

Now, you have four keys that will start the engine with the donor pcm. Re assemble your wafers in the lock cylinder to match your original key.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome! Thanks for that info, indeed very good to know. Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Also, the "not free version of forscan "does allow key programming. So does the two month "trial" of the extended license. I used it program a 3 key to a 2014 edge. Both working keys were made into "my keys"

Join the forscan.org forum. There is a thread for you to upload a config file for your install of forscan. It then gives you a two month license file.

I have not used forscan to program keys to a 2003 taurus.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike! I'm gonna try something local first and if that doesn't work, I'll holler at ya.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts