Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say im having a bad day so far today. My mom told me to try parking in the garage beacuse her saturn vue fits just fine, so my car shouldn't have a problem.

Well i pulled in and pulled up all the way, and shut the garage door, and then this happens.

Im so pissed right now. :angryfire:

Is there an easy way to fix it? I know if I try to fill it in with paint, it wont match up and look just as bad. And the place that painted it will probably charge over $50 to fix it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Nope. I had that happen before. Now I watch the garage door go down with the remote in hand to make sure it doesn't happen again. A little tube of touch-up paint and some fine sandpaper will make it OK from a distance, but it's still going to be noticeable without a proper repaint.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I had that happen before. Now I watch the garage door go down with the remote in hand to make sure it doesn't happen again. A little tube of touch-up paint and some fine sandpaper will make it OK from a distance, but it's still going to be noticeable without a proper repaint.
[/b]
Thats what I figured :glare: Thanks anyway.

Looks like im going to take a run to the place that painted it to get a quote to fix that. Its going to drive me insane.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You're not alone. I have had it happen to me.

Is there more room in your garage to pull forward?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I used to be able to back into the garage, but then Dad built a shelf and I can't fit because of the fin on the lightbar :( The shelf is about a half-inch too low.

I can pull forward in, but I can't get around the car and have to crawl through to get to the other side.

·
Registered
223 Posts
lol that happened to my aunt too. a 04 mazda6 fully loaded 5speed only 20k miles and not a single scratch, dent, or chip and she put 2 scratches from the garage door in the rear bumper. My cousin took a empty soda bottle and put some water in it then put it so it hit his windshield when he was far enough in his garage. You could try that to prevent future scratches.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
or hang a tennis ball so you don't scratch the windshield

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I too always look to make sure I'm in far enough before I shut the door :p When I was a kid my mom didn't pull in far enough and the garage door broke one of the taillights on the car... So I learned my lesson at a young age!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say, we have a sensor so that the garage door can't close if there is anything in the way :p that would probably be the best solution, :lol: I can't believe I didn't think about that first.

That way, you can park different cars in there without needing multiple bottles/tennis balls.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
We have the sensor for the garage door as well, but the door still shut all the way. The hinge and handle got me.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I forgot to say, we have a sensor so that the garage door can't close if there is anything in the way :p that would probably be the best solution, :lol: I can't believe I didn't think about that first.

That way, you can park different cars in there without needing multiple bottles/tennis balls.
[/b]
The bumper hangs over the sensor, its low to the ground so something above it, it wont catch.

Lucky for me, I have no garage! :lol:

Anyway, how deep is the scratch? Can you feel it with your finger nail?
[/b]
Not too deep, it was just enough to chip the paint off, if I can manage to find a black to match it, ill be in good shape. But we all know that wont happen.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I just got a super idea... Instead of mounting the sensor at ankle level, mount it at rear bumper level! The only downside is you can't run out of the garage after pushing the button and jump over the laser (unless you are a high jumper)... I've personally never had a small toddler drive his big wheel under the door while it was closing, so I really wouldn't miss it being at ankle level!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say, I've never seen anyone put it at ankle level before. Ours is mounted about a foot above the ground, probably more.

When we were kids we could army-crawl under the sensor.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
The bumper hangs over the sensor, its low to the ground so something above it, it wont catch.

Lucky for me, I have no garage! :lol:

Anyway, how deep is the scratch? Can you feel it with your finger nail?
[/b]
Not too deep, it was just enough to chip the paint off, if I can manage to find a black to match it, ill be in good shape. But we all know that wont happen. [/b][/quote]

You can blend it yourself if you're good enough. :) take that red off, sand it a little bit and you can either rattle can it or use touch up paint. Make sure to clear coat it after you're all done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts