Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used a couple of those headlight restorers over the past couple of years with little success. They remained fogged over. To add insult to injury, one of the headlights was replaced, due to an accident, making the car looking like it had a cataract. This evening a decided to use a different approach. I removed the remaining, problematic, headlight assembly for easy cleaning. I made a paste using Comet household scrub and water. I cleaned the headlight and hand buffed the lens with the paste until it was a dry film. I wiped the film off of the lens then cleaned it with Citrus Cleaner Auto/Shop Degreaser (Regular window cleaner would probably work too. The Citrus Cleaner was just handy). I repeated the process two more times. Attached is a picture of the finished work. I could've kicked myself for not taking a before picture, but it just an experiment I wanted to try. I hope this may be useful.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound 2-3x/year. Cleans them up really nicely without being as heavily abrasive as Comet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you want to make them Semi-Permanent after the clean up, find some clear coat gloss paint in a rattle can, make sure its UV150 rated, and spray them over with 2-3 coats. They will look like glass, and stay that way for years.

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
^^^^^ Yup, that works great and lasts a very long time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've used 2500 grit sandpaper to get the major fog off. Then used triple 0 steel wool then the above mentioned clear coat. Looks better than new. Just use thin, multiple, coats of the clear coat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was going to add the note about the clearcoat as well. You will likely see it marketed on the paint can label as "non-yellowing."

I happened to find a MAACO in Hayward, California that will do both lights for $19 and they look great. I did that instead, figuring the supply costs and about 2 hours of time were worth the $19. I did the clearcoat after that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried the triple O steel wool in an inconspicuous area. I used it with Dawn dish washing liquid as a thick lubricant. It actually slightly fogged that area. I'm assuming that I did something wrong, but I just wanted to post my reults.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried the triple O steel wool in an inconspicuous area. I used it with Dawn dish washing liquid as a thick lubricant. It actually slightly fogged that area. I'm assuming that I did something wrong, but I just wanted to post my reults.
i used dawn dish soap as a lube. I forgot to mention that. And the clear coat will clear up most of the fog. But try it in an inconspicuous spot like you did before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
raser13
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing