Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I want to get a little bit more juice out of my 2003 Ford Taurus S.E.L 200hp 3.0 DOHC Duratec, but I am rather inexperienced with modding. I was thinking about building a cold-air intake? What are some easy, inexpensive modifications I can accomplish, without too much financial lost! Thanks guys~!

PS: I did search so please no "use the search button" posts. Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Inexpensive and Duratec don't go together :lol2:

Not only is there not much to do, what is, isn't cheap. That underdrive crank pulley is about the cheapest modification.

As a previous Duratec owner, I would recommend checking your EGR valve:

Not where my finger is pointing, but that large bracketed thing. If you have this, remove it and cut the tube part that goes into the intake WAY down. I found my LTFTs (Long Term Fuel Trims) on a brand new vehicle, were already off. So this was a factory error. Digging around I found the EGR tube protrudes well into the intake plenum, blocking off a large part of the rear bank. Due to that, air gets distributed unevenly, and due to that, VENOM Nitrous found out the hard way when building a nitrous kit for the Mazda6 and destroyed an engine.

With the COPs, Coil On Plug, I found that an MSD Stacker 8 ignition box made a noticeable difference. However the Stacker 8 is no longer sold and now MSD makes you buy two DIS-4s, plus a dual DIS-4 wiring harness, to get the same as the Stacker 8.

As stated, you pretty much already have a cold air intake on the car, just it's not shiny and pretty. A series of intakes came out for the Duratec-powered Mazda6, but none put out more power than Custom Performance Engineering's, due to the fact they designed their cold air intake with a piggyback interface which changed fuel trims slightly to compensate. Power results were double what AEM or K&N were claiming. You may want to check them out, I've dealt with Anthony there in the past, great guys and great customer service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts