Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to get to the back plugs and wires? Any suggestions on how to do this quickly and properly. Thanks

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
There are two ways to do it if you can't find any earlier information:

For small hands:

Take the passanger side windshield cowl off and you should have a small bit of access to get to the plugs and wires. I have done this before, and I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. It is possible to do anything, but only do this if you have problems getting the upper intake manifold off or are uncomfortable taking off the UIM.

For ALL PEOPLE:

Disconnect the upper intake (hose, TB, vacuum lines, EGR mushroom, UIM). This will give you total access to the wires and MOST IMPORTANTLY the plugs. The rear plugs are sunk into the block just like the front ones, so it's much easier to get to the rear bank of plugs when the UIM is out of your way. Just stuff the LIM with rags to make sure nothing falls in and you should be good to go. When I did my plugs the second time, this method saved me roughly half the time and ALOT of anger.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Check out this article in the Maintenance section. You need to remove the upper intake manifold. While you have it off you may also want to install a new PCV valve, since it is easy to get to with the manifold removed. Be sure to check those vacuum hoses that attach to the bottom of the manifold. The are prone to cracking.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I have a 00 Duratec and I have big hands I changed mine with no problem. Mine doesn't have plug wires and the individual coil packs on the rear have to be taken off by"feel". There is no reason to take the manifold off . I didn't take the cowling off either. You do need a spark plug socket and several sized extensions. A spinner attachment is also very useful. Everything you need is in most people's toolbox.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought it could be done without removing the UIM. This is the way i was going to try it. We shall see. Anybody else have some ideas. It seems so far only one guy is going with the leave the UIM on. This is the way i would like to know but i would like a few more ideas. thanks

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts