Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read so many posts about methods and frequency of changing the PTU oil, and also having been through a failure on my 2012 Flex, I set about to do this on my recently purchased 2013 SHO with PP and 30k miles. Having read the PTU for the PP has a temperature sensor screwed into the fill hole, which takes some inventiveness to remove, I was trying to avoid this exercise if possible. I simple decided to drain and fill from the oil drain position using a simple oil pump I bought at Autozone. I will post the photos below, but basically I drained the fluid into a measuring container. Determined in my case I had 11 oz drained. Primed the pump so the hose was filled and plugged the end. On the gear oil container, marked the full position and subtracted 11 oz plus 1 oz to account for some leakage. I installed a 1/4" pipe thread brass nipple of size that fit the pump hose into the PTU. Pumped in the oil and then went through the conniption of removing the nipple and reinserting the drain plug, dropping the plug and having the magnet hold it to the exhaust system where I couldn't see it, while I kept one finger in the drain hole. Anyway, got this done finally. Draining 11 oz meant that there was still 5 oz in the case, if this had 16 oz to start, which is the OEM spec. I'm OK with the residual as what was drained didn't look terrible compared to what I have seen before and pretty minor amount of metallic particles on the magnet. I recommend you spray some cleaner on the exhaust when finished, as you can't avoid getting some oil spillage, otherwise you will have whiffs of burning gear oil for a few days. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey thanks for that. I just purchased a 2013 SHO with 54k on the clock, I traded in my 2010 SHO (which had a PTU seal leak).

How much does a shop charge to do that job? (changing the PTU oil)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only tell you this cost me less than $30 for oil and pump to DIY. I would ask your dealer or speak with a local mechanic. Any garage with a lift, this could take only an hour or less to complete. If your SHO is not a Performance Package, then the fill plug is easier to remove. Having a sensor in that place makes it a challenge, hence the bottom fill option.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can only tell you this cost me less than $30 for oil and pump to DIY. I would ask your dealer or speak with a local mechanic. Any garage with a lift, this could take only an hour or less to complete. If your SHO is not a Performance Package, then the fill plug is easier to remove. Having a sensor in that place makes it a challenge, hence the bottom fill option.

Good to know, my SHO does have the PP too. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just did the change but I think I may have too much in it. I sucked out all the old oil. Refilled to fill plug which was 26 oz. Let all drain out of fill plug. Refilled with Schaeffer's 489 degrees Fahrenheit flash point vs Amzoil 410 vs Motorcraft 370.

I thought Schaeffer's was the best I could buy. It really doesn't make sense to go in and reduce the level. I don't believe that this oil will foam up while in use.

Do you think I need to take someout?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the change but I think I may have too much in it. I sucked out all the old oil. Refilled to fill plug which was 26 oz. Let all drain out of fill plug. Refilled with Schaeffer's 489 degrees Fahrenheit flash point vs Amzoil 410 vs Motorcraft 370.

I thought Schaeffer's was the best I could buy. It really doesn't make sense to go in and reduce the level. I don't believe that this oil will foam up while in use.

Do you think I need to take someout?

So what did you decide? In theory, if you overfill it, it'll simply burp out the excess through the vent on the top of the PTU once it reaches its max temp while driving. But I tend to agree that more fluid would be best. Yours is NOT the PP Taurus? My PP Taurus fill hole is covered by a temp sensor. You have the luxury of knowing when yours is full. I do not. I also agree with Schaeffer's gear oil is the best as flash point is very crucial to the longetivy of these gear oils. I suspect that the location next to the cat is roasting the ptu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts