Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Looking at an Early 90s SHO (with a stick) 90-95 w/about 80-100k on the odomter. Want it for a 2nd car and I like the idea of a 5 spd 4 door sdn with some get up and go. I can get them here (near San Fran) for about $1500. Are these things reliable? I sold my 03 Sable recently and it was a great car - not as sure about the older SHOs. I know you guys might be a little jaded but your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hey,

Looking at an Early 90s SHO (with a stick) 90-95 w/about 80-100k on the odomter. Want it for a 2nd car and I like the idea of a 5 spd 4 door sdn with some get up and go. I can get them here (near San Fran) for about $1500. Are these things reliable? I sold my 03 Sable recently and it was a great car - not as sure about the older SHOs. I know you guys might be a little jaded but your input would be appreciated.
[/b]
They are good cars, but the SHO does require regular intervals of maintenance.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
They're only reliable if you keep up on the strict maintenance and even then it'll suck money from you. They make good project cars, but not good daily drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Well as someone that actually owns a SHO :)P to the above) I can say they don't require anymore maintenance then any other car, it's just that with their long life when you buy one that maintenance typically hasn't been done.

Get the 60K done and replace any worn suspension parts, rod bearings if it's nearing 200K. Other then that enjoy the car.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I know a guy in Orange County who is selling his SHO (no mods, all original parts) with 87,000 miles for $3775 if your interested....$3775....what? :glare:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would have to agree with Matt, the SHO is an older car just like all the other cars it requires maintenance as parts wear out. My SHO went over 200k on the the original motor with me racing it every now and then. If you keep up on the 60k they can last a long time. Mine has sucked very little money from me. Where it did suck money was where I upgraded everything.

Oh the 94-95 are good for brake upgrades but have the solid rear rotor. The 89-91 have the better sway bars. The 89-92 have the vented rear rotors. The 92 has steering wheel and center console from the Gen1.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well as someone that actually owns a SHO :)P to the above) I can say they don't require anymore maintenance then any other car, it's just that with their long life when you buy one that maintenance typically hasn't been done.

Get the 60K done and replace any worn suspension parts, rod bearings if it's nearing 200K. Other then that enjoy the car.
[/b]
:werd:

From another SHOwner, all the myths you hear about them being "maintenance hogs" and prone to breakdown is a direct result of poor maintenance.

Getting into the game can be a little pricey, but I don't think you'd find a similar car any cheaper.

My former 3.0 only made it to 120k before a rod bearing made its final appearance, but it was easy to tell this car was not maintained the way it should have been. Most times, rod bearing wear is a result of lugging the engine, IE having it in too low of a gear for the conditions.

Also, doing the work yourself can save you a ton of money. Finding a good mechanic that knows these cars can be tough, and expensive. The 60k service parts for example, are not unreasonably expensive, however it is a labor intensive job, which drives the cost up.

With all that said, my 93 has been my daily driver for over a year now and I have no regrets. Before that, my 91 was my daily driver. I put over 50k on that car without a single issue, but I did all the maintenance to it before I put it on the road. At around 185k, it was still running strong and in decent shape when I sold it to another member here.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
i dont own one of know anyone who does but i want one so bad. i saw a 95 for sale over the summer in upstate ny for $2500 with 137k miles- white with leather/cloth interior, 5 speed and just about as mint inside and outside as a 12 year old car can be. didnt have the money for it but an gen 2 sho is on the to get list, maybe around tax time ill get one. im not very handy with cars so ill have to stash money to get stuff done or learn what i gotta do the hard way. might be fun.

i always loved gen 2 sho's for as long as i can remember, well just gen 2's in general. i had a black vulcan but im not a fan of the column shift or the vulcans performance (no disrespect to anyone, i can see the appeal in them, just not my cup o'tea.)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
i dont own one of know anyone who does but i want one so bad. i saw a 95 for sale over the summer in upstate ny for $2500 with 137k miles- white with leather/cloth interior, 5 speed and just about as mint inside and outside as a 12 year old car can be. didnt have the money for it but an gen 2 sho is on the to get list, maybe around tax time ill get one. im not very handy with cars so ill have to stash money to get stuff done or learn what i gotta do the hard way. might be fun.

i always loved gen 2 sho's for as long as i can remember, well just gen 2's in general. i had a black vulcan but im not a fan of the column shift or the vulcans performance (no disrespect to anyone, i can see the appeal in them, just not my cup o'tea.)
[/b]
there's a gen 1 that looks clean(sans interior) on ebay currently in ft wayne......just have it vin checked by a cop before the car is purchased. By far, I like the gen 1 the best(owned a CR 89)...but I couldn't turn down the 95 :lol2:

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
They're only reliable if you keep up on the strict maintenance and even then it'll suck money from you. They make good project cars, but not good daily drivers.
[/b]
Inaccurate blanket statement. I want you to find a 143k mile '89 GL or 192k '94 GL/SE that needs less work than either one of my SHOs. Engines aside (and MTXs), the rest of the car has the EXACT same maintenance issues and costs as any other Gen I or Gen II Taurus.

Now, if you check my garage, you'll see that I've spent over $6,000 on my SHO since I purchased it. But, I purchased it with the intent of replacing just about everything under the hood and all the suspension and brake components anyway.

Just like any used car, you'll want to find one that's been maintained well. And, believe it or not, nice SHOs aren't cheap. Everyone sees the posts here and over at SHOforum about people picking up Gen I SHOs for peanuts, then expect to pay the same for a well maintained example. That's just not going to happen most of the time. Required maintenance such as 60Ks on SHOs can get a little pricey if you have someone do the job, but that's because most of the cost is labor. And, besides, those are 60,000 mile tune-ups. The average American drives 12-15,000 miles a year, meaning these generally only come up every 4-5 years. Like Bob said, turning your own wrenches can save you a ton of money, but that's true with any car.

You just really need to decide what you want out of the SHO. If you're looking for a daily driver that hasn't been neglected, you need to buy one from here or SHOforum. And you're going to most like pay over $2,000 for a decent, maintained Gen I/II. For my SHO, I wanted an '89 with almost no options because they are the lightest. I also knew I was going to eventually replace all the suspension components, brake components, repaint the car, install a new interior and eventually swap out the entire engine, transmission, and subframe. What I didn't want to do, though, was re-wire an entire car. So, I found an '89 that ran well and has zero electrical problems, but is no looker. The body is strait with no rust at all, but it has saggy-ass syndrome, a somewhat worn clutch, seats that needed to be recovered, and a cracked dash. I'm still working my way, but, if you check my garage, you'll see how much work I've done to the car already.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,

I do not mind paying over 2k for a decent car - I would rather do that. I dont mind wrenching on some routine maintenance issues bit my days of complete engine replacements are over until I can get a place with a garage. Here is the add I am looking at:

Year/Make/Model: 1991 FORD TAURUS SHO
Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR
Engine Type: 3.0L V6 SFI DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Feature
power windows
power door locks
power mirrors
power seats
power steering
power brake
A/C blows cold air
heater works
Cruise control
it has a clean title with no sign of any accendent.
WITH ONLY 112K MILES, THESE CARS ARE NOT BUILT LIKE THE ORDINARY TAURUS, I'VE SEEN SHO WITH OVER 300K MILES

There are acouple of pics but they dont tell yuo much other than it's green....

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm partial to the II's myself (93-95?) but I would be willing to pick up a clean one from 89 up to 95. Hard to find a low miles in good shape car though. SHO Continental, that's the add I was looking at. crappy pics and it's from a dealer - makes me wary.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I posted it to get other peoples' feedback to the specific car you were considering.

If I could recommend any years of SHO it'd be a '91 Plus, or '94-95 MTX.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Green Plus, nice car! Hard to tell completely from the pics but it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Maybe it's just me, but the fact that the AC works is a big plus, not just for the AC, but because of the fact that someone cared enough to keep it working. Most the PO cared about the car, and did necessary maintenance.

Or, maybe west coasters care more about AC than us east coasters do. :)

At any rate, it's worth going to look at it for the price.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I would be leary of any SHO that has not been maintained well. I have spent a lot of money on my SHO over the past 14 years that I owned it. But the only still things that came from the factory is the interior and the engine except the cams and intake. Also keep in mind all the Ford stuff will wear out and nickel and dime you to death.

Bob

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well,

After some thinking, I may drop down to a normal Taurus. Seems to be some Early 90's cars out here in good shape w/low miles for 2500 or so. Too bad there aren't more low miles SHO's around.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
well,

After some thinking, I may drop down to a normal Taurus. Seems to be some Early 90's cars out here in good shape w/low miles for 2500 or so. Too bad there aren't more low miles SHO's around.
[/b]
Check out Craigslist.org, Autotrader.com and Ebay.com.

You can check out the classified section on SHOForum and TCCA.

I know your looking for a G1, but there is an ad on SHOCal for a G2 SHO in Sac.
http://www.officialshocal.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2214

I'll let you know if i hear anything.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I went and bought a SLO. All the SHO's that I could see around here looked like they had seen better days. I picked up a 95 GL Wagon with 66k on the odometer for 2300. 3 liter, no rust (california). Needes an interior scrubbing but aside from a couple of dings, its in good shape. Looks like I'll be a regular on this site again - this is my 3rd Taurus.

The sad thing is I have a lot of buddies that were telling me to get a Japanese car for the same price (with 2ce the mileage). 135 -150 K ona car is risky, IMO. Especially if you dont know the car all that well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts