Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with FFV using E85 routinely and saving money? I started using it lately, but I'm not sure it's cheaper...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I did it for a while. Price per gallon has to be at least proportional to your loss in fuel economy (25-30% loss for me) to make it worthwhile. Plus, when you switch back, it takes a while to recover the fuel economy. The car tends not to start as easily when you switch back until you get through half a tank - which means more $$$ loss.

Someone on here stated that they were mixing 87 and e85 at some proportion and getting better results. Too much chemistry for me.

If you're having a hard time starting in the dead cold of winter, the car starts easier on e85, other than that I won't use it.

You can check prices and spread trends here:
http://e85prices.com/new-york.html#

If you check the maintenence guide that came with the car - using flex-fuel more than 50% of the time puts you in a SEVERE DUTY usage category; Ford changes the recommended oil change interval from 5,000 miles to 3,000 miles. I would imagine the "severe duty" schedule would also apply to such things as the fuel filter, spark plugs etcetera.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How exactly did you get a car to start EASIER on E85 in the dead cold over regular 87? E85 is basically grain alcohol...E85 in cold temps is a NIGHTMARE!!! Also, the reason you loose fuel economy is because to properly run E85 you have to have a 20%-35% richer Air Fuel Ratio...hence less economy...just stick to regular gas...unless you plan on adding forced induction or some SERIOUS head work...DONT BOTHER WITH E85...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wait what? Your car started just fine in the dead of winter on E85 but not well with 87 octane? I think your a little confused.

·
Registered
405 Posts
nope - in fact many times I'd reach in from the passenger side, put the key in and give it a quick flick to start it, then go about my business scraping the ice off the car while it warmed up. The only reason I have for using e85 is less strain on the starter when there's going to be a cold stretch in winter.

On 87, when it's below zero, it may take a couple tries and doesn't idle as smooth until it warms up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts