Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The gas cap or gas door should tell you. The older models had a 2 in a certain place in the VIN number that told you it's a flex fuel, not sure how to tell frorm the vin on the newer models.

My 04 was a Flex fuel, it had the 2 in the vin and the gas door said "Gasoline or alcohol fuel only" on a sticker.

I run E85 in my 98 civic. It's not a flex fuel, but I put slightly larger fuel injectors in from another model Honda and it's been running perfect for over 20k miles, bought it 1y and a month ago today and immediately filled it with E85 :) Without the larger injectors the computer can't compensate for the extra fuel needed when you get on the gas (it needs about 20-30% more fuel flow) and it loses power and triggers a check engine light for "long term fuel trim too lean" I ran it for 2 weeks with the stock injectors before I got the bigger ones in the mail. Your Taurus should be the same way if it's not a flex fuel.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the best thing for your car is pure gas. e 85 cost less but in my opinion is total crap. if you have a flex fuel run a tank of e 85 and watch you mpg and power difference. then run a tank of pure gas and do the same. in my opinion you get more for the money with the pure gas.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
e85 is GREAT if your running a turbo car / Race car due to the very high octane rating I have a few friends with turbo foci and they fill up on e85 and turn the boost up with great results. Running e85 in a pre 2000 vehicle is a gamble though due to ethonol's ability to pull moisture out of the air, in a major temprature swing it will cause vapor droplets to form in the fuel tank and cause rusting issues in the future. Not to mention the fuel lines have to be a stainless steel to be e85 compatible, the civic may have the right stuff to make that kind of switch but there is a reason there is a FFV module and COMPLETELY DIFFERENT fuel system on a FFV Taurus.

Here is an up-to-date list of e85 compatible vehicles.

Troy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the advice, i will stick to 87 octane regular. As for gas mileage loss, i cant afford to get less, when i purchased the car a few months ago i tried to talk the dealership to install new tires but no go. I was getting 28 mpg average, i drive 70 miles round trip to work at usually 75 to 80 on the freeway. I had a set of tires installed Monday and the average mpg dropped to 23 :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
E85

the best thing for your car is pure gas. e 85 cost less but in my opinion is total crap. if you have a flex fuel run a tank of e 85 and watch you mpg and power difference. then run a tank of pure gas and do the same. in my opinion you get more for the money with the pure gas.
I'm British, I was to old but two of my younger brothers served in the RAF
Our militarys want to stop buying oil from the middle east as soon as they can. Fuel independence, tactical move (stop giving money to the countries were OUR enemy lives)
To my way of thinking you don't give comfort to your enemies that's called Treason. Buying gas from the middle East is comfort, crude oil thin enough to make gasoline comes from latitudes like the middle East. Muslim's won't touch alcohol E85 is from Iowa. From Corn, Bio-diesel from Canola plants too. Using either is Patriotic
If you increase the compression on a petrol/gasoline engine you get better power and more economy, but gasoline pinks ethanol doesn't ;).

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMHO E85 Just plain Sucks!

ethanol contains approximately 34% less energy per unit volume than gasoline, and therefore will result in a 34% reduction in miles per US gallon (source: Wikipedia). In other words, if a car gets 20 mpg using gasoline, it will only get about 15 mpg when using the same amount of E85

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.