Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be a good idea to run E15 in my '08 Taurus?

·
Registered
2013 SEL
381 Posts
2001 and newer vehicles are approved for E15. EPA claims that cars going back to 1995 are just fine, but not officially approved. I ran it in my 1998 for several years without issue.

Petroleum industry claims otherwise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2001 and newer vehicles are approved for E15. EPA claims that cars going back to 1995 are just fine, but not officially approved. I ran it in my 1998 for several years without issue.

Petroleum industry claims otherwise.
Cool. I'm gonna use it bc I'm trying to save money wherever possible

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Be aware fuel economy will drop noticeably as ethanol contains about 20% less energy per gallon than gasoline.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be aware fuel economy will drop noticeably as ethanol contains about 20% less energy per gallon than gasoline.
It's E10 vs E15, shouldn't be too bad. Besides, E15 is 88 octane as opposed to standard 87. Although the majority of my driving is city though

·
Registered
2013 SEL
381 Posts
There's truth to that, but it's 20% of up to 15% of the fuel. If my math is correct, there's potentially 3% less energy in E15 vs E0. In Dr Awesome's case of E15 vs E10, it's 1%. Also, keep in mind that's "up to" 15% ethanol. It's often less.

So many other things have a larger impact on your fuel economy. The concerning issue with ethanol is longevity. If you're not going to use it for a number of months, you need a fuel stabilizer. If you burn it up in a matter of weeks, you should be fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's truth to that, but it's 20% of up to 15% of the fuel. If my math is correct, there's potentially 3% less energy in E15 vs E0. In Dr Awesome's case of E15 vs E10, it's 1%. Also, keep in mind that's "up to" 15% ethanol. It's often less.

So many other things have a larger impact on your fuel economy. The concerning issue with ethanol is longevity. If you're not going to use it for a number of months, you need a fuel stabilizer. If you burn it up in a matter of weeks, you should be fine.
Thanks! I'm going through about a tank every two weeks (I drive about 1k miles a month)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts