Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this and does it work?

Dynamat Products

I've found that my sub works better when the trunk is open because its getting more air. When Im driving and the trunk has to be shut, I seem to get half the bass. Will vibration insulation solve that problem, or is there some other alternative to spending $60 on insulation?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If your subs are sucking up so much air that they need the trunk open then somehthing is wrong. Most subs only need between .5 and 1.5 cu ft of airspace. My old Kickers needed 1.1 cuFT. My new Pioneers only need .8cuFt.

I think it is probably more a problem of which direction your subs are facing. If they are facing the back then the sound is going to reflect off the trunk. If they are facing forward then they are going to reflect some off the back seat. Try reversing the direct of you subs to see if it helps.

Dynamat reflect the sound but most of all keeps the metal from vibrating. If you're standing outside your car with the trunk and windows closed and you're hearing more rattling then actual bass then you are a good canidate for some Dynamat.

Dynamat is pretty expensive though. A few people on this board swear by using FaatMat (available on Ebay for $80 and a lot of it). This is probably what I will be putting in my car very soon. And there is enough of it to do the entire trunk, the doors, and probably have a bunch left over.

My two cents.

Derek

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea now much air space my woofer needs, but you know how big ourtrunks are- they're bigger than most other car's. Someone at Custom Auto installed my amp and woofer for me, so I would think he did it right. Moving it around in the trunk doesnt seem to make a difference. And I guess I don't need Dynamat stuff because my car doesnt vibrate that much. But if it will give me better sound quality, I'd still consider putting some in my trunk.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedyGreeny@Jul 28 2004, 02:02 PM
I've found that my sub works better when the trunk is open because its getting more air. When Im driving and the trunk has to be shut, I seem to get half the bass. Will vibration insulation solve that problem, or is there some other alternative to spending $60 on insulation?
I am C O N F U S E D :wacko:

What exactley do you have? Speaker and Amp, plus wattage....
Also, what are the dimensions of your box, how thick is the material used for the box, etc etc.

May help to determine what to do. Mine sounds like Poo with the trunk open. 2- 12s with 1.1 cu ft per sub, facing rearward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts