Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says :)

Pulling engine and trans, hoping to get a new camshaft in there and change the waterpump so i'll have a chance to see a lot of the innards. If anyone wants to see anything in particular let me know and i'll see what I can do :p

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Are you going into the tranny casing as well? I'd be interested in pics of how the tranny's held up since the SC...

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no sorry, I need to keep that trans in one piece so I can get my core charge back...besides I woudlnt know what the hell I was doing in there anyway :lol2:

that trans stuff is Jeramie's specialty :)

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Craig, can you swap a cam without pulling the motor in a taurus??

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its *techinically* possible if you undo the mounts so you can jack up the engine high enough to angle the cam tunnel past the inner fender. With that said though, I think it would be a HUGE...HUGE pain to do it that way, you'd almost certainly spend twice as much time cursing all the blind bolts on the timing cover (i remember about 13 of them) as you would just pulling the engine out.

Start to finish I've got the engine pull thing down to about 6 hours or so, It really doesnt need to take that long but people need breaks.

Seriously though, pulling the engine makes everything so much easier, I wouldnt dream of doing it any other way. Why do you ask? Got something >> B) << up your sleeve? :)

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I'm thinking when I tear down the engine in my SC, I might go for some better heads and a bigger cam. Then I could put the small ported heads and cam in the taurus..

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes I want to take a hammer to this thing, lets hope its replacement is smooth as silk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Torque converter removed. That removable minishaft (technical name???) goes right into that hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
i though of doing the same thing with mine.... you could jsut cut a hole in the frame and then reweld it back together hehehehehe that sounds liek loads of fun

what are the different sizes for the torque converters? does ford jsut have a standred design? also i would think the flywheel on the sc sould be stronger... i wounder i think i just need to buy an sc to take it appart.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The flywheel on the SC is quite larger..

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
must remove right side drive axle first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
view into the guts from the right side

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Murder scene...err.. transmission pulled, tranny fluid EVERYWHERE :angry:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
White plug - hoping that has some significance - sent this picture to the transmission guy to make SURE i get the right unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Full view. Note the snug fitting broomstick to make sure the "side gears" dont drop.

Too bad I need this thing intact for my core charge, or I would seriously pull and Office Space move on it :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bet you guys would have hooked me up NICELY!!! I had to try and reduce cost though, hopefully it wont come back to haunt me.

Here are a couple more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
closer shot of the innards

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
even closer, showing part of one of the side gears.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Filter back in place

Attachments

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.