Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

A simple question: does the Duratec 3.0L V6 DOHC Taurus have ~200 base HP or ~145? Online it seems as though a lot of spec tables show that the Taurus has ~145HP (seems like every single one doesn't specify whether it's Vulcan or Duratec), but I see every now and again that the Taurus has ~200 HP (is this with the Duratec...?).

Summary: Duratec 3.0L V6 DOHC engine - 200HP, or 145HP?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A lot of web sites are very confused. This is because both V6 engines have 3000cc. A lot of _people_ I have spoken to are very confused. "What do you mean DOHC or not DOHC? I got the V6, so it has to be like yours!"

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
To add more confusion, the most of 1999 Duratec cars have 180hp rating. This is because the accountants at Ford removed half of the Y pipe exhaust. However, this was not true of all 1999 models. Mine is a 1999 SE, built in late 1998, and it does have the full Y pipe exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I talk to a lot of people who also insist they have the SOHC engine. Uhm, no you don't. Ford doesn't make a SOHC 3.0L. If you don't care enough about your car to know whats under the hood, it begs the question if they should even be allowed to drive the car.

I'd be preaching to the choir here, though, everyone who joins something called Taurus Car Club of America, is obviously an enthusiast, and would therefore at least make an effort to know what they are driving.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
I have both a 1996 and a 1997 Taurus sales brochure. Both, in error, say the Vulcan is a "Single Over-Head Cam V-6". I can see this causing a new buyer confusion way back when.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To add more confusion, the most of 1999 Duratec cars have 180hp rating. This is because the accountants at Ford removed half of the Y pipe exhaust. However, this was not true of all 1999 models. Mine is a 1999 SE, built in late 1998, and it does have the full Y pipe exhaust.
Oh, how can I tell if it's a Y-pipe or not?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
To confuse the issue even more, the gen 4 vulcan was/is 155hp.:lol2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.