Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Taurus SE with a Duratec engine. Was this engine developed in conjuction with Yamaha? Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
250 Posts
duratec, man...no h.
not sure if it was. what gives you that idea?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the typo. I've read it--the SHO's engine is supposed to be that way and I've been told some of the F-150 truck engines are Yamahas. Besides, there are engineering aspects to the Duratec's engine that have a decidedly Japanese influence.

S

·
0 Posts
Some of the characteristics are there... Could possibly be a coincedence though. Not too sure. For example, the Secondaries, and the upper and lower intake plenums... but still a Great Motor, best I've worked with yet!!!

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
no, the block had nothign to do with yamaha. The v8 shos do have simmilar charactoristics to a duratec, and there heads were built by yamaha.

Brad

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The Duratec 4 cylinder had some Porsche influence, or so I've been told.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Duratec is one great engine. I've been impressed with it from the beginning. It's quiet, smooth, and powerful. I agree with you that the upper and lower intake manifolds have a Japanese engineering influence, from the porting to the gaskets. Much of the electrical system appears the same way, to me. Many might not like the anology, but the Taurus, in many regards, is a larger and more deluxe 1993 Honda Civic. The design similarities are striking, except for slight sheet metal changes here and there.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Don't ever call my car a Honda Civic...them's fightin' words!

I don't want to have to come down to Texas and whoop on you!

Just kidding...now that I have that out of my system.

I agree that the Duratec has some foreign influence in it...I've heard many people discuss that on here. Maybe someone can get in contact with Ford and find out. I will say though, that Honda has nothing to do with Ford, nor will they ever (I hope). GM is in bed with Toyota...hopefully Fomoco will never, ever do anything like that.

JR

·
Registered
281 Posts
The SHO V8 is a duratec block with two cylinders grafted on during the casting process. The heads are Yamaha, and probably the intake as well, although I do not recall.

The SHO V6 is entirely Yamaha, and the block was based on either the Vulcan or Essex, which ever one was NOT the basis for the Duratec (Sorry, I can never remember which is which).

As part of Ford's agreement with Yamaha, they apparently reserved the right to learn from and possibly emulate Yamaha's technology.

The duratec was designed in Dearborn, the electrical, induction and exhaust in England, and packaging in Germany. I think the packaging development (and the fact that there were Duratec motors in Germany) led to the popular belief that a German company aided Ford in the development of the duratec, but I've never found any indicators that Porsche was busy in Dearborn with Ford during the design phase of the motor, or that they assisted Ford operations in Germany. At the same time, Porsche, and many other automotive mfg's do offer consulting services, and are often willing to work with most any company as long as the price is right.

No matter how it all fits together, the Duratec has turned out to be a world-class performer like the Yamaha motors (the swedged V8 cams being the only exception) in both durability, power and mileage. The duratec is the best mass-produced low-cost V6 on the market. And looks to continue holding that title for some time with Ford's next iterations, the duratec 30 and 35. It also holds the title of smallest and lightest V6's.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by FlamingTaco@Oct 4 2004, 02:44 AM
The SHO V8 is a duratec block with two cylinders grafted on during the casting process.
alot of people say that, but from observations ive made, not exactly true IMHO.

They only thing they share in common is the bore and stroke. The block is a complete redesign, seeing as the pistons are closer together, diffrent oil pan, diffrent outside casting, etc. Not to mention diffrent oil and cooling passages. Proof of this would be the fact that the sho's dont have oil starvation issues during long winded right hand turns as where the 2.5l duratecs do.

I do agree there very simmilar in design, but diffrent enough not to be able to call it the same thing only +2 pistons.

Either way...not a big deal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Many of the guys over at Blue Oval News, a web site full of Ford employees, seem to think Porsche's engineer's designed the engine. Porsche does loads of automotive design and research work and keep it secret for large fees.

I think TAG...... Technique Avant Garde is their engineering outfit.

Below is a link to the Blue Oval News message board.

http://warnerrobert.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

I love the motor, too. Except wish they'd put the PCV valve where i can get to it.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
As I recall, the Durtec was designed for the Contour. It was the Mondeo in Europe and it came out in '94. In '95 the Contour was released in the US with the 2.5L Duratec engine. I think some time after that it showed up in the Taurus. I believe it was one of Ford's failed $6 billion dollar world car. Just never really took off in the US, I'd say some of it was due to poor marketing and another perhaps the styling or the small size of the car. I think about $2 billion of that was spent on the engine. I believe there was European (German?) involvement but don't recall seeing anything about Japanese involvement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts