Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just changed out my thermostat on my Duratec. I got a new ring gasket and the thermostat. The problem is that the car is now overheating, towards the 3/4 area. I put the thermostat in the same way I took the other one out.

Any suggestions? Do I need to purge the air out or what?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Is the tank full? If it is the old OEM tank it may be leaking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was running great on the old thermostat, but it was already getting old and in trying to prevent a future disaster i went ahead and changed it.

Now, with the new thermostat, the cars temp is rising over to the 3/4 area.

Any specific way the thermostat has to go?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When you say it's overheating, does the temp gauge actually go above the normal range? Because if it's still within the normal range then it's not overheating. It may just be getting hotter than it used to, especially if the old t-stat was weak and opened too soon. Or, the tstat you put in has a higher opening temp on it than it should.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Is it OEM or aftermarket? At least in the Vulcan, the water outlet and the OEM thermostat aren't round. Aftermarket thermostats are round, and don't quite fit - I had problems with anything other than Motorcraft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Temperature goes over the 3/4 area.

This is an example of what I am speaking of:
[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]

The red is where my needle on the car goes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The spring side goes up into the housing first. Other than that, I do not think it matters how it is rotated in the housing. Also, did you get the oem temp. I believe oem is 180 degrees. I bought one at napa and it was for 188 degrees. I returned it and they had the one for 180 in stock also, the guy just grabbed the hotter one.

QUOTE (Mai-Sable @ Mar 29 2009, 11:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713510
Temperature goes over the 3/4 area.

This is an example of what I am speaking of:
[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]

The red is where my needle on the car goes.[/b]

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
OEM t-stats have been 192F for the last 20 years on Fords.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The spring end goes on the engine side and the jiggle valve goes at 12:00 (high noon). If you put the spring end towards the radiator it would likely never open and overheat quickly. Does your upper radiator hose get hot? If not pull it out and check it. I always check mine on the stove before I even put them in:

·
Registered
348 Posts
What does the jiggle valve do and why does it need to be at 12.00? I can't remember if I did this, but the car is running fine.

QUOTE (mt_goat @ Mar 30 2009, 11:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713603
The spring end goes on the engine side and the jiggle valve goes at 12:00 (high noon). If you put the spring end towards the radiator it would likely never open and overheat quickly. Does your upper radiator hose get hot? If not pull it out and check it. I always check mine on the stove before I even put them in:

[/b]

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (clydesdale @ Mar 30 2009, 06:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713808
What does the jiggle valve do and why does it need to be at 12.00? I can't remember if I did this, but the car is running fine.[/b]
It allows trapped air to slowly escape as you refill, air rises to the top so jiggle valve at 12:00 allows more air out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OK, thanks. But, on the duratec would it matter? The thermostat is not horizontal and I don't think there is a 12 o'clock position right? The whole thermostat faces the ground. There is no part that is higher than the other right? Thanks

QUOTE (mt_goat @ Mar 30 2009, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713812
QUOTE (clydesdale @ Mar 30 2009, 06:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713808
What does the jiggle valve do and why does it need to be at 12.00? I can't remember if I did this, but the car is running fine.[/b]
It allows trapped air to slowly escape as you refill, air rises to the top so jiggle valve at 12:00 allows more air out.
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (clydesdale @ Mar 30 2009, 07:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713813
OK, thanks. But, on the duratec would it matter? The thermostat is not horizontal and I don't think there is a 12 o'clock position right? The whole thermostat faces the ground. There is no part that is higher than the other right? Thanks[/b]
Oh, I didn't realize it was facing the ground on the duratec. I was just going by my vulcan setup. I guess in that case it wouldn't matter.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, then then that is pretty friggin stupid of all the autopart stores. Ford only uses 192, and yet you can't get one at the regular autopart stores. Either that or all their sites are wrong. The NAPA OEM says 180. Who knows, but then I am sure most people are using the wrong one. I will see how the car runs. As long as no problems and good mileage, I guess I will leave it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts