Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 1999 Duratec Taurus. The car drives perfectly although I have noticed that it "carries speed" very well. By this I mean that it doesn't slow down quickly when you let off the gas on the highway. Tonight I shifted it into neutral at around 55 mph just to see what would happen and the rpms went from 2000 to 3000.

Why is this and what can I do to get the engine to drop to idle when I let off. FYI, the car gets about 22 mph in highway driving.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
When you shift to N, the RPMs rise in anticipation of the car being placed into drive, not overdrive. This is to avoid a sudden jolt when the gear engages, and since you may be using neutral to descend a hill, it would be logical to assume you may going back into drive.

Your car should not drop to idle when you let off the gas. What it does is try to avoid downshifting (for best gas mileage) by holding itself in that gear as long as it can. If you wait long enough though, it will downshift to the next lower gear and then you'll feel the engine braking.

I prefer it the way it is though. It really smooths out the car, not like a lot of GM cars that will snap your neck if you pull your foot off the gas too much.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I dont know about ya'll but that part of the taurus just makes me mad, I want to be able to downshift my car and have a pull when I let off the gas.....But here's the funny thing....I have more pull to slow down in 4th gear than 3rd...anybody notice that with there gen 3's, I pull it out of overdrive, and I figured 4th gear is smaller than 3rd, so 3rd should have more pull than 4th....but oh no....

But yes, this is y I need to get a manual install on my car before I shoot a hole through my tranny.....plus the 2 second shifts are killing me...

Sorry just had to vent but I feel much better now..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts