Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as far as I know the duratec engine in the Taurus was transplanted into many different Ford vehicles. My dad has a 2005 Escape Limited with the duratec. It makes a funny ticking noise for the first few 15 seconds when it first starts when the engine is cold. It sounds like valves ticking. Anyone have any ideas why this noise happens or any way to fix it. I'm thinking an oil additive maybe. Is this like terminal cancer or can it just be "fixed"
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Impossible to say for sure over the interweb.

Could be something as simple as an errant spark from one of the COP units that may not be seated properly. Could be as bad as a rod bearing / oiling issue.

Is it a single source tick, or more than one independent source?

If it's a single source, try to locate the general area where it's coming from (be careful not to get tangled up in the spinning parts).

I suspect it may be a small exhaust leak at or near one of the exhaust manifolds. As the block & header heats & expands rather quickly the leak is sealed.

Another possibility (if the noise is coming from the front cover area) is the timing chain tensioners. The early version of the Contour V-6 Duratec suffered from some startup clatter issues related to the timing gear. If that's your issue, just leave it alone.

Could also be an imperfect valve seat if the noise is from under the valve cover.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The ticking noise plagued the first generation Mazda6 as well, it was actually due to a purge solenoid, here is the TSB for it:

http://www.coremazda.com/tsb/mazda6/01-012-07-ticking-noise-purge-valve.pdf

This was fixed later on, but people still complained of random ticking, most people noticed it immediately following oil changes, especially cheap oil changes. In the owner's manual it actually states the Motorcraft filter is designed with a thread end bypass, which cheaper filters lack, this prevents the start-up tick.

So two things, check the purge solenoid and don't be cheap when it comes to oil changes.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree. If you look at the actual performance specs of a Motorcraft filter, you find things like an anti-drainback valve and a bypass with a preset pressure of 25 - 40 psi. If you look at a typical aftermarket filter that most parts stores carry, they will often lack the anti-drainback valve entirely, and the bypass will be set to something like 10-15 psi.

Then the oil can and does in fact vary. You can run a good oil, like the very reasonably priced Motorcraft 5w30 or 5w20, which is often cheaper than even generic oil, or you can run junk like QS. These things can mean the difference between everything working properly, and the ticking from oil starvation at startup.

With valve ticking you should get it addressed sooner rather than later. Just get better filters and run the proper oil, and the problem should go away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is most likely a cracked manifold, you are hearing an exhaust leak. Once it warms up the crack seals and the tick goes away. There are 2 escapes in my family and they both had this problem. It is very common. So common that the manifolds are on nationwide back order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts