Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title really says it all - my 156k mi Duratec appears to be leaking oil from the oil pressure sender. Is it possible for the sender itself to leak or does it have to be leaking around the threads? Are these normally installed w/ sealing compound, teflon tape or ?? There appears to be an adapter into the block and then the sender threads into the adapter.

And does the wire disconnect at the sensor or up the harness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Most commonly in my experience the sender will leak through the body of the sender, but I have rarely seen them leak from the threads.
It should disconnect right at the sender, and the threads have sealing compound on the new sensor :)
-bobby

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
be careful about using teflon tape or sealant on the threads. I used too much and ruined the ground for the sensor. The oil pressure warning lamp never came on. I checked the sensor by grounding the body to the block, and it worked. I installed this part while the engine was out of the car... now fixing my mistake is going to be a PITA with the engine installed.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you! Sounds like new sensor time then, and use only the goo already on the threads!

Fingers crossed, I've been looking for my leak (halfheartedly) for a while, if I'm lucky this is at least most of it.

Oh - is this just a normal hex, or is it a "special tool" shape? Looks kind of funny....

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
QUOTE (actdigital @ Apr 13 2009, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717515
Thanks to both of you! Sounds like new sensor time then, and use only the goo already on the threads!

Fingers crossed, I've been looking for my leak (halfheartedly) for a while, if I'm lucky this is at least most of it.

Oh - is this just a normal hex, or is it a "special tool" shape? Looks kind of funny....[/b]
You can use an open end wrench, or there is a special socket, but i don't think a regular socket will fit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got the same problem. Where is the oil pressure sender, and what's the easiest way to get to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts