Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:
I'm about to replace my oil pan gasket again! Does anybody know which manufacture is better? I replaced the original oil pan gasket with a motorcraft one but it appears it only lasted about 2.5 years before it started leaking again. If you have any recommendations for oil pan gaskets please let me know. Or if there is a trick how to seal it from leaking.

Last time I replaced it I used a new motorcraft gasket with blue RTV silicone. If anything works better let me know.

This is for a 1997 Duratec engine, Mercury Sable.

Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, go with Fel-Pro Permadry.

Be careful what you use RTV on. It is good fro sealing around joints and stuff, but if you put it on the entire gasket it can actually cause leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
you could see about getting an 04-05 oil pan and gasket the gasket has a channel to sit in in the 04-05 pans and are much less prone to leaks. my 2000 went through oil pan gaskets at about 1 every 2.5 to 3 years hopefully the new 04 engine will never need one.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, go with Fel-Pro Permadry.

Be careful what you use RTV on. It is good fro sealing around joints and stuff, but if you put it on the entire gasket it can actually cause leaks.

What are your experiences with the Fel-Pro Permadry gasket? Or how long do they last? Did you use any spray tack? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts