Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question may sound or be stupid, but what the hell. I was having a brain storm whether it's stupid or not I don't know, I was thinking about either putting either a 3.0 duratec v6 or a 302 v8 in my aerostar. Again just a thought. The questions I have are 1) would a duratec fit in place of the vulcan, since they are both 60 degree v6s and 2) how would I be able to get the EEC 4 to communicate with the EEC 5 engine since the rest of the van is EEC 4. I am wanting to make the van appear stock eventhough we know it won't be. I am just thinking about ideas. The vulcan in the van runs good right now but I am thinking about future ideas. I don't really want to massively butcher up my wiring but I want more power and torque but keep it like it should have came out from the factory that way. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Duratec is a much bigger engine than the vulcan, primarily because of DOHC. What year is the aerostar? OBD1 or OBD2?

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Anything is possible with the right amount of money.....

That being said, the Aerostar is a RWD van, the duratec being a fwd platform engine so that would be interesting to find a trans to work with it.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Duratec is a much bigger engine than the vulcan, primarily because of DOHC. What year is the aerostar? OBD1 or OBD2?
EEC-IV would mean OBD-I, he'd have to replace just about everything.

Cant think of an application where the Tec has been used in RWD, pretty sure the Noble mounts it in the rear so it's direct drive.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Have you considered an MTX swap from a Ranger? The manual trans seems to help wake the Vulcan up some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 95 which means EEC 4. I wasn't exactly sure if there was a way I could get the engine (EEC 5) to communicate with the rest of the van ( EEC 4). If not I'll try to figure another alternative. I like the duratec engine due to it's performance and power and I was thinking about that idea. Would I have to do a front to back rewire on the van or could I just wire the engine/transmission to the rest since the I/p, hvac, etc. are the same pretty much between 92-97 but I'm unsure. Any ideas would be gladly appreciated.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Lincoln Ls and jaguar?

Slightly different variant of them, not the same as the Taurus/Sable version. I think they'd be even bigger and harder to fit in the Aerostar.

Space is probably the biggest thing that makes this a no go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Escape is FWD I thought. AWD is a whole different ball game.
Escapes came in AWD, or RWD with optional 4WD, as I understood it. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Just kidding. I checked and apparently all Escapes are FWD or AWD, no RWD applications. You learn something new every day.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Actually wiring an EEC-V into an older vehicle isn't super difficult, though it certainly isn't plug and play. As mentioned, the transmission is indeed the issue here. Ford has never made a RWD transmission with the Duratec bolt pattern. Even the 4WD/AWD Escapes use a FWD engine/transmission setup. Even if you were to modify the bellhousing on an existing transmission or have an adapter plate made, getting the Duratec's EEC-V PCM to control that transmission is not likely to happen even with custom tuning. You'd pretty much be required to adapt an MTX, and I can't think of one off the top of my head that would be suitable to even attempt adapting. The Duratec has a very unique bolt pattern.

Basically what I'm saying is that with enough time and money it figuratively could be done, but there'd be a lot of wiring and custom machine work to be done. Custom bellhousing, motor mounts, etc. Just a train of thought though, the SHO V6 has the same bolt pattern as the Vulcan.....

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Not to mention it's EEC-IV, correct?
Yep, and the RWD Vulcan motor mounts will bolt right up to it. You can also reverse the intake manifold so the throttle body is at the front of the engine. I've seen them swapped into Rangers several times. It really is all but a bolt in swap for the Vulcan. The question is if the wider SHO intake manifold and heads will fit in the tight confines of the Aerostar engine bay. It's not really any bigger than the Duratec though, so if it won't fit the Duratec likely wouldn't either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
loudsho92
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing