1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
That's a very nice illustration of what not to do to an engine. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
wow so was the missing piece just laying in there? shows you how tough these engines can be though. mine had low oil pressure for quite a while and it never once ticked or knocked at all. too bad the car had to be crushed, but now the cougar has a new 3l what was wrong with the 2.5 in the cougar?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Jun 3 2010, 04:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809038
So you may be able to get away with one new (or junkyard) head and new bearings, maybe a new oil pump...[/b]
The crank could be fixed. The cams have some scoring, but it's mostly aluminum from the head cam journal that has bonded to the cam and could be polished off. The head is trash. The damage on the crank is from the steel backing of the rod bearing. The rod should be replaced due to big end stretching from age. I wouldn't bother rebuilding this engine.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 4 2010, 03:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809214
wow so was the missing piece just laying in there? shows you how tough these engines can be though. mine had low oil pressure for quite a while and it never once ticked or knocked at all. too bad the car had to be crushed, but now the cougar has a new 3l what was wrong with the 2.5 in the cougar?[/b]
Yeah, the pictures were taken immediately after removing the cam cover. This is how the engine was running, apparently for a while too. It ran on 5 cylinders. Both roller finger followers on cylinder 3 were floating around in the head.

The 2.5L from the Cougar sounded like it had no compression on bank 1 with 75k miles. The engine turned over freely with the starter, but it would not fire. I was told it had run nothing but Mobil 1 oil and filters. When I removed the cam cover, I fully believe only synthetic was used. The internals look perfect, shiny, and new. The engine turns over easily by hand without plugs installed, but it binds slightly at one point. I think bank 1 is timed incorrectly. I had planned on disassembling it and scrapping it, but after looking inside, I want to check the chains and cam timing... then see if it holds compression.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Or you don't change your oil after about 20K miles like what my brother just did on his 2007 Mazda 6.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts