Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin of getting a contour but i dont wanna get an svt cause ill get screwed over by insurance compagnies so i wanna do an engine swap
Wondering if i should put in a 3.0L or make the 2.5L better
What i wanna know what are the differences between the svt 2.5L and 3.0L duratec engines
thx
:05:

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Normal 2.5 Duratec:

170 HP
165 Torque

SVT 2.5 Duratec:

~190-200 HP dependant on year
~170 Torque

3.0 Duratec

200 HP
200 Torque

Diffrences:

SVT has domed pistons raising the compression as well as an extrude hone intake and secondary runners in the heads. THe newer ones had a Dual Extrude Hone Upper and extrude hone primary and secondary runners in the heads. This is why there was a power diffrence between years.

The 3.0 has more torque due to more displacement.

Id advise a 3.0 swap from a2k1 or newer due to better piston ring design. Plus alot of guys favor the oval port heads vs. the split port design

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
a little off topic but I herd somewhere that there is a 3.5 tec comming out or in devlopement.

is this true, any information?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I believe it, but i think production is delayed. No it will not fit our cars :( . Diffrent beast all together.

Brad

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I read that the 500 is going to get the 3.5 in 2007 or something like that.

It was on the internet so it has to be true.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I think Brad covered all the basics...

I'm not going to go into the specifics of the 3L swap here, you can check it out at CEG or FCO. Also the Cougar board (NECO) has lots of information as they share the same platform and engine as the Contour.

The swap itself does not seem that hard. I am about to begin the project myself (2002 Taurus Duratec arrived today :chili: ) The biggest problem guys run into is tuning. Lean conditions from using too small injectors or MAF trickery cause engine failures. I'm not going to cheat myself and risk all the work going to waste. Custom tuning will be done BEFORE the first spark reaches the 3L.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mwt@Sep 23 2004, 09:52 PM
I read that the 500 is going to get the 3.5 in 2007 or something like that.

It was on the internet so it has to be true.

Mike
B)
Provided there are no delays, they have it scheduled to be in the Five Hundred at some point during 2006 model year production. May not be when they are first released though.

Also, there will be an SVT Fusion (new car smaller than a Taurus) that will supposedly use the 3.5L 'tec. It'll be interesting to see how they get that to fit in that car. The car is smaller, so there is a slight possibility it could fit in the Taurus. But it all depends how big the engine bay is and whatnot. Only time will tell. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts