Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
: I've done everything to pull my engine out but when I jack it up the motor won't give way from the transmission I've unbolted all the bolts from the housing and the 4 bolts in the torque converter,the top of the motor and transmission opens a little but the bottom is catching, my uncle told me there is one LONG bolt some where near the axle that goes thru the tranny into the engine,but I don't see such bolt I've counted the holes on my new engine to see if I've taken out all of the bolts and I've counted correct,I'm going by the 1996-2001 haynes manual for a mercury sable and taurus but it only tells u about the OHV motor when it explains the bolts to be taken out from the tranny into the motor it doesn't tell about my engine which is the DOHC Duratec engine,please help me I belive I am missing a hidden bolt or something because in no way should this tranny be binding on the motor like this PLEASE HELP ME...

: 1997 Mercury Sable LS

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I have never removed a FWD transmission before, but I removed the transmission on my RWD volvo.

There should be no bolt that goes all the way through the transmission into the engine, the only bolts securing the transmission to the engine are the ones on the bellhousing. It would be impossible to have one long bolt go through the transmission, because the torque converter is there.

Have you seperated the engine and transmission and pulled them away from each other a few inches? Just having the transmission loose and trying to let it fall straight down isn't enough because you've got to pull the transmission away from the torque converter, if you left the converter bolted to the flywheel. If it's free from the flywheel, you have to pull the trans out a few inches and make sure the converter is out of the pilot bearing.

The other possibility is that there is a hidden bracket somwhere, but if you're sure everything is disconnected, it should pull away from the engine fairly easily. Stick a crow bar or a large screw driver between the motor and trans and pry them apart, it should not fight you, if it dosen't want to move, look some more from a hidden bolt.

On my Volvo, there are 2 locating pins on the engine that slip into corresponding holes in the bellhousing to make sure it goes back togeather correctly. On my car, the pins rusted a bit and made it hard to seperate the trans from the engine.

GOod luck, hopefully someone who has pulled a taurus trans will add some more info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts