Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 96 Taurus with the Duratec and 142k miles. During my last change of sparkplugs, the EGR ports in my intake manifold were completely plugged with carbon gook. At that time, I replaced my PCV valve, but didn't check to see if the feed lines from the block / heads were blocked.

Since then, I've developed an oil leak that happens very rapidly when the engine is full and seems to stop when it is at the bottom of the fill line on the dipstick. The leak is not in a single location, it seems to come from numerous spots and collect on the bottom of the oilpan.

Should I be trouble shooting the PCV system more or checking somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Indeed it sounds like the PCV system isn't working. Pull the line going from the PCV vale to the intake off, There should be vacuum.

If there is pull the hose off the valve cover that goes to the pre-throttle body intake. Hold your finger over it and with the engine running there should be a vacuum that develops.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my suggestion take off the upper intake plenum. clean it out with intake cleaner. remove the TB and I'm sure you will find behind the gasket it all carboned up. Your best bet is to clean clean clean to get as much crap out of there as possible. I have heard others do things like a PCV catch can to help avoid this. My best suggestion is to clean, and if you feel brave during this time, grab your drill and carbide it, or grinding stone and hone/bore out your upper intake holes that lead to your secondary intake. They are generally around 5mm small than the lower is. If you do this you will probably feel a little more response in your car.

Also this I might get flammed on, but I seem to have gotten better gas mileage on my car is using Auto-rx. I was reading the forums over at the bobstheoilguy.com. This product had good reviews from people so I tried it. Its supposed to help with oil leaks too. It might be worth a shot before you have someone drop the pan and replace the pan gasket. Also depending on the weather and climate if you can use a thicker weight oil. I run Mobil 1 20-50. just some ideas
levi

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Feb 29 2004, 10:26 PM
Indeed it sounds like the PCV system isn't working. Pull the line going from the PCV vale to the intake off, There should be vacuum.

If there is pull the hose off the valve cover that goes to the pre-throttle body intake. Hold your finger over it and with the engine running there should be a vacuum that develops.
This sounds like what's going on with my Duratec. There is general leaking all around, but there is no puddle where I park it, so it only seems to happen when it's running. I have the UIM off last summer and cleaned out all the EGR carbon and replaced the PCV valve.

This will probably turn out to be a foolish question, but how do I get at the PCV valve with the engine running? When I replaced the PCV I had everything off the engine, I don't see how to get at it otherwise. It looks like I'd need to pull off at least everything upto the TB, disconnect the PCV line, add a jumper hose for some extra length and then put everything back on so it will run. I suppose I could crank it w/o starting to check for vacuum??

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the PCV system is working and you have no gasket leaks, you can pull off the hose that goes from the pre-TB to the valve cover(s). Take it off at the pre-TB side. Be sure to have the hoses still connected to the Y connector that goes to the individual covers. When the engine is running and you put your finger over the open end of the hose going to the valve covers, there should be a vacuum build up. Nothing like what is at the intake manifold but around 10"Hg or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Replace your PCV valve with one from Ford instead of one from a parts store.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
In my case, it is a Ford PCV. The local parts shops don't even stock the unit for the Duratec, so I had no choice.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I did a quick check during lunch. Since I didn't have an assistant to work the accelerator, I only checked at idle. There is not a bit of vacuum on that hose. Not a twitch on the vacuum gauge. I can check again at higher RPM later.

Update:
I checked the vacuum again with a second person to work the throttle. It turns out there is vacuum on the crankcase vent line, but it takes a minute or two to build up. Then it comes up to 8 in-Hg (I'm at 5000 feet, so we could adjust this up to 11 inches at sea level.) Pressing the throttle has no immediate effect on the vacuum reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts