Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Duratec owners (DOHC) that have experienced blown head gaskets? If so, what were the warning signs? I know the 3.8 had a chronic problem, but havent' read about any problems with the Duratec.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I haven't heard of any Duratecs with blown head gaskets.

Generally, a blown head gasket can cause water to leak into the combustion chamber. You may notice steam in your exhaust (constantly, not just on cool mornings), oil in the coolant overflow tank (which may appear as a frothy light brown sludge), and water leaking directly from the between the block and the heads.

There are other signs, but I believe these are the most common.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
They seem to be pretty reliable. I actually had mine replaced at 28k miles because the spark plug blew out of the head and cracked the head. They replaced the entire engine because Ford wanted to review it themselves. It was definitely a fluke and most people have had very good reliability with the Duratec.

S

·
0 Posts
I havent heard that at all... maybe a VULCAN but not a Duratec. (LOL Little Vulcan/Duratec rivalry there...lol jk guys) But the Duratec is very reliable. Actually one of the best motors I have worked with so far!

LOL Compared to the 2.5L 4Cyl from Chevy and a 2.3L from Oldsmobile. Damn both of em died. Couldn't handle my powerful mind. Oh well, it's all about Ford now!!

SableSal

AKA FieroSal and AKA Ninety3GA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice car SableSal!!!! Where did you get the GenIV wheels? They look sharp on the 98'. I bought a similar set from American Racing for my 98 but they just don't have the look I was going for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts