Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have a taurus 2000 and put a duratec engine module in
everything ran fine, (overheated the engine once but it survived)
and its been running great for a month or so
THEN

a couple days ago i started it up and it made a noise while idling, that was less pleasant, it sounded akin to a vibrating piece of sheet metal
this vibration came and went, wasnt very loud at first
but latley it has goten very loud, and lower gears (below 40mph) seem to require a significant amount of gas-pedal to get going through, 1000-1500 rpm swings are observable (between alot of gas and no gas while moving below 40mph)

at 40mph it shifts up and locks the torque converter, i can tell because jaming on the gas yeilds no increase in rpm, but it runs at an abnormally low rpm at 40, (1000rpm)

this transmission has had similar problems before but it was assumed it was due to low fluid so i decided to change the pan seal and filter (because they were cheap and came together) my sister, who owned it before me, had to get a tow from an intersection.

SO

100$ of mercon V later and everthing seemd to be running mint
but that didnt last very long the same problem persists

also some strange hissing noise seems to come from the sidepan on the transmission while its in drive or reverse, more reverse than drive

when i changed the pan seal i discoverd a fair quantity, ide guestimate 2 grams of metal powder slime stuck to the magnet and all over the pan bottom

i have been researching via google this very problem and have found this website

Changing AX4N Valve Body

it describes a failed pump, it seems similar to problems i am having

i feel it may be the pump, because while idling and hot the fluid level is very high, even though i put the specification quantity of fluid in.

any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think you put way too much fluid in it!
If you just drop the pan, there is a lot of fluid left in the system that won't be drained. So, if you filled it "by specs" for the whole transmission, it is overfilled now.
Mine takes only 4 or so quarts to fill, after filter replacement. I usually I put 3 qt, start the engine, go thru all the gears (foot on brake), and in "P" chaeck the level and add till matches.

You can drain it thru the fill home with a PVC hose and a had pump.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
I think you put way too much fluid in it!
If you just drop the pan, there is a lot of fluid left in the system that won't be drained. So, if you filled it "by specs" for the whole transmission, it is overfilled now.
Mine takes only 4 or so quarts to fill, after filter replacement. I usually I put 3 qt, start the engine, go thru all the gears (foot on brake), and in "P" chaeck the level and add till matches.

You can drain it thru the fill home with a PVC hose and a had pump.
Good Call!:)

For the record. I suck the fluid out the fill tube first, then pull the pan. Put all the fluid in old oil jugs, (5Q) and measure how much came out. Start back with the same amount. Of course I assume starting with a correct fill on the stick.

Any amount of overfill is bad. Says so on the stick. Same for engine oil. Better a Q under than a Q over.

As for a flush (exchange) I prefer fluid and filter change on schedule, then flush (exchange) not of value.

But of course I have a 2Q glass jug with cap and hoses on it and a vacuum pump and I use if for this and for oil changes in my small engines. (I have 6) Also use the vac jug for brake bleeding.

And of course, time to get the snow blower out and service it. This time check for mice nest in the chain box.:angry:

-chart-

·
Registered
95 Posts
good advice above; too much fluid.
Is it burping tranny fluid through the vent or filer tube? If so this too would suggest a pressure problem, likely from overfilling the system. Check as well the vent cap is not push down all the way, only push on to the first "click" as there are two inner rings on the cap, the second one will block the vent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will try removing some
if you were to guess, how much fluid do you think would reside in a pan-less transmission?

can simply overfilling cause such large problems?
i was always under the impression that overfilling would only cause it to overflow the excess in some inconvenient manner.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
to much fluid does way more then just over flow. it causes excess air to get into the system, this can cause major damage.
a pans less trans will hold around 9qts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont know what you guys are talking about. When i dropped the pan. i put my old trans fluid in oil containers and got 8 qts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I dont know what you guys are talking about. When i dropped the pan. i put my old trans fluid in oil containers and got 8 qts
fluid amount varies when changing. most will get 4-5 quarts with just a pan drop and filter change. If you remove the cooling lines you will get more out.
the point here is you wont get all the fluid out of the trans. the op said he used $100 of merc v. thats roughly 14 q of motorcraft fluid depending on the store you got it from.
so even if the op got 8qts out like you did, adding 12-14 qts will over fill the trans unless the fluid was really low to begin with.
I wish I got 8qts out when i did my change. However my taurus only took 4.5 qts.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
fluid amount varies when changing. most will get 4-5 quarts with just a pan drop and filter change. If you remove the cooling lines you will get more out.
the point here is you wont get all the fluid out of the trans. the op said he used $100 of merc v. thats roughly 14 q of motorcraft fluid depending on the store you got it from.
so even if the op got 8qts out like you did, adding 12-14 qts will over fill the trans unless the fluid was really low to begin with.
I wish I got 8qts out when i did my change. However my taurus only took 4.5 qts.
I did '01 and '03 and '02Lin Cont and got 7Q on each. My trans work is done for the next two years. Same for 3 fuel filters. All different filters. Trans are all the same.

After changing filter and cleaning the pan, refilled and ran each for a day or so. Then sucked that out and replaced again. Got about 6Q sucking out and not removing the pan. So about 75% new, 25% old for fluid. Changing filter is important. "once burned twice shy". Had a filter collapse in a Dodge. Plugged the pump inlet. Bummer. By the time the filter is plugged up with normal stuff, and making the pump suck too hard, the filter has to do something.

Never did a "flush" (exchange). I have had 7 Tarurs/Sables and 4 Lin Cont. All driven high miles and except the Cont's all went to my two daughters and driven on and on. None ever had a trans failure. (only one torque conv when I towed in OD) "Here's My Sign".:angry:

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think you are right, I was confusing it with the Explorer pan that takes less (does not have the differentials in the transmission).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE
i removed nearly 5 quarts to bring it down to the top of the cross hatches
she runs really smooth now
however the original problem which prompted me to change my pan seal and filter still remains

on a cold start it makes noise when given gas
torque converter slips like mad
once its driven for a few miniutes the problem goes away
the computer will lock the t.c. at un-ordinary times sometimes
its intermittent but im almost certain its fluid pressure related
giving it lots of gas for a short period will get it lubed up

if i run it at low-power cruise for a while the problem comes back untill i give it more gas
--------------------
as to the debate going on ax4n;s will hold quite a bit of fluid without a pan, enough that the specification 11.x quarts is far too much
because my trans was low to begin with ide estimate that 6-7 quarts is held without the pan for a full transmission

1 - 13 of 13 Posts