Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Duratec Alternator Removal

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  shoz123 
#1 ·
I have a 99 sable with a duratec v6. the alternator is done (over 117000 miles) and I am having trouble removing it from under the car. I have tried to remove the funky looking nut from the crank pulley but even with my impact air wrench it won't budge! the nuts wacky shape and holes around its perimiter lead me to think that its pinned on the threads? the alt will not come out with this pulley on the engine. anyone know whats going on with this? the manual i have says nothing about this. replys will be greatly appreciated!
cliff

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I wrestled with the #@$% thing for an hour and then read the post from SHOZ123 and dropped the subframe. Once I did that it came out easily. I then installed the new alt. and the car would not fire up. it just turned over and over.... My lovely wife read in the manual that the crankcase position sensor is one of the items that will affect the engine running. Upon close inspection we discovered that I broke the position sensor with the alt.from all the moving in and out and sideways! So be careful out there. Bite the bullet and drop the subframe. Total cost $180 for new alt from Autozone. thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.