Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like my secondaries don't open until about 4000 rpm....
Is this normal?
Seems like a lot of revs to me...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You could have some serious carbon build-up inside the LIM (lower intake manifold). Which could delay a little bit when they open. Or maybe somehting is wrong with the cable.

B

·
0 Posts
:withstupid:

I'm pretty sure they open around 4k, but if it seems sluggish, check the IMRC control box (on the front valve cover), and follow the cable to the lower intake. If it's frayed or broken, that could be your problem as well.

Or maybe it's just time for some BIG BAWZ! :)

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
itas perfect...they dont kick in till 3800rpm or there abouts depending on how hard the accelerator is pressed.

Brad

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I was looking at them under the hood while I pressed the throttle... and they were opening just before the rev limiter kicked in, and that's at 4000rpm.

I'm not an engine guy, this might seem like a stupid question, but why aren't they just removed?
Surely this would improve low-rpm torque which the Duratec seems to suffer from!

B

·
0 Posts
It does improve low end. In a 24V engine, higher airflow is only needed at higher RPM's, and actually hurts low end. Typical things that work for other cars don't work on a multi-valve engine. For example, opening up exhaust restrictions will also cause a loss of low end torque.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What do you mean you were "looking" at your secondaries under throttle??? Did you have the upper intake manifold off??? Seems to me that the only way to run the engine would be to have the manifold ON the car, but, you know...I've been wrong before...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
You can see the linkage move when the open from the drivers side.

Think about what you just said......how would the engine run without an upper intake? ;) (Yes you are correct, you cant run the engine with out the upper.)

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts