Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time! I'm about to buy a new water pump to replace the OEM one before it goes out like so many before it. But im having a hard time picking the part, checked Rock Auto and there's two Motorcraft part numbers, both with duel teeth. Does anyone know the correct one? Does it matter? Should I get a different brand? I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already but any help is greatly appreciated.

Going on a 2013 Taurus with 105k miles

Part numbers
AT4Z8501A $100
AT4Z8501B (PW531) $90

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does Rock Auto give you a choice of entering your vehicle VIN number? If not, I'd check with a Ford Dealer parts department, I know they "updated" the pump in late 2011 & then another revision in (2016?).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does Rock Auto give you a choice of entering your vehicle VIN number? If not, I'd check with a Ford Dealer parts department, I know they "updated" the pump in late 2011 & then another revision in (2016?).
See I tried to find info on an updated model but never did, I'll probably run by the Ford dealer tomorrow and check with them, never even crossed my mind because I never go there. Thanks man

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to do that online with Ford parts finder...............
Parts finder didn't help either. The parts guy at Ford showed me which one to get. Got it for half the price at Rock Auto. There was one with two gaskets and one with just one gasket. The single gasket pump was the newer(?) one I guess, that's the one he told me to get. Part PW531 for the 2013 3.5l in case anyone else needs it.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
393 Posts
It's that time! I'm about to buy a new water pump to replace the OEM one before it goes out like so many before it. But im having a hard time picking the part, checked Rock Auto and there's two Motorcraft part numbers, both with duel teeth. Does anyone know the correct one? Does it matter? Should I get a different brand? I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already but any help is greatly appreciated.

Part numbers
AT4Z8501A $100
AT4Z8501B (PW531) $90
I take it this is a preemptive replacement of the pump. Has it leaked yet at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it this is a preemptive replacement of the pump. Has it leaked yet at all?
No but with all the horror stories out there I'm not taking the chance. My wife drives it alot with out two young daughters and I don't want her to end up stranded somewhere, and would also like to save my engine from blowing up. I've seen a lot of people say they checked their coolant level and weep hole one day and the next it breaks.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Part numbers
AT4Z8501A $100
AT4Z8501B (PW531) $90
Just pop the hood and look at the water pump and look and see if you see one or two rolls of teeth...and then you got your answer.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
393 Posts
No but with all the horror stories out there I'm not taking the chance. My wife drives it alot with out two young daughters and I don't want her to end up stranded somewhere, and would also like to save my engine from blowing up. I've seen a lot of people say they checked their coolant level and weep hole one day and the next it breaks.
They aren't leaking, until they are! LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a preemptive replacement of the water pump on our 2011 SHO with the internal unit. I had to wait for five weeks to get our SHO into our normal mechanics shop, however the timing gears, chain, etc. that I got from Rock Auto to replace at the same time were not the right ones. Rock Auto refused to take them back because they only have a 30 day return policy. Even if they send you the wrong parts. I had done business with them in the past, but after they did this to me, I remembered the old adage..."Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.".

·
Super Moderator
8,285 Posts
Just pop the hood and look at the water pump and look and see if you see one or two rolls of teeth...and then you got your answer.
The pump is under the timing cover and cant be seen until the timing cover is removed...... that is why replacing it is such a PITA.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Super Moderator
8,285 Posts
All FWD / AWD Duratec 3.5 and 3.7 (Taurus, Flex, Edge, etc and their Lincoln equivalents) have the pump inside the timing cover. The RWD / 4WD pickups with the 3.5 / 3.7 that have the engine longitudinally mounted have traditionally mounted external water pumps.

Reactions: taucor0315 and brn

·
Registered
2013 3.5L Limited
3 Posts
All FWD / AWD Duratec 3.5 and 3.7 (Taurus, Flex, Edge, etc and their Lincoln equivalents) have the pump inside the timing cover. The RWD / 4WD pickups with the 3.5 / 3.7 that have the engine longitudinally mounted have traditionally mounted external water pumps.
Has anyone tried to put the truck 3.5 timing cover and pump on the taurus? Also, I'd be happy with an external electric water pump and use the dummy pump pulley from the F-150. Any ideas if this is possible without major metal fab? Love this car, but between the $2,500 water pump and having to replace CARB Cats; this car is worth the price of these repairs to be done this week. I already changed the o2 sensors and check engine light popped on my way to the dealer for the water pump yesterday. UGH. Thinking of selling out of CA and getting a 200k mile 4x4 F-150.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts