Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the deal why is it that they are making over 220 and will the aftermrket for the 6 work with the ford's? what is so diferent? and will a five speed from a 6 bolt to a ford duratec?

i am not planing to start bolting on mazda parts i just want to know if it ever happened that i could this would be good to know

thanx

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Variable Valve timing...that's what makes the difference. I dont' think the conversion to the VVT heads would be all that easy, as it would involve ALOT of computer work...

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm not sure if the blocks and the placement of the engines is the same. I'm sure the casting is similar, but I'm not sure if everything would line up correctly on each of the engines. The Gen IV Duratec would probably be very similar to the Mazda 6 'tec, but I don't have any clue as to how similar the Gen III 'tec would be...

JR

·
Registered
19 Posts
It does not even have to be VVT the Duratec is chocked by ford so it would not over power the SHO V8 when it was introduce at the same time as the Duratec. It is cheaper to weaken a motor the to strength another. By a 2.5l Duratec motor put the top end on yours from the heads up. With the 2.5 timing and it the less restricted top end a Taurus Duratec will get 220 to. Get your new heads P&P and you know have the same top end as an SVT. The only differnece between the SVT 2.5 and the general is the P&P heads and their valves are open for a fraction of a second longer. They open at the same times but close well you have the idea. I think the cams are Roush and you can always just by the better cams and a 2.5l motor with say a lost bearing where the motor is done but still useable for a conversion. I would think the tranny would come over and if it does not and the bell housing is the only issue have your block modded to line up and fit. Just plasma cut the section of the block replace it with a machined steel plate that will line up with the tranny. Weld it to the block and there you go. Work but it can be done.

Remmber the Duratec 30 was not designed for the Taurus or any other car that has ever been produced. It was designed by Yamaha & Ford for a Mid Engine sports car that was going to be marketed to compete with the Toyota MR2 and the Pontiac Fiarro. Yes ford was going to make one too. The car never got built but Ford had planned on building it and preordered so many motors and was now in a contract with Yamaha. Ford and Yamaha had a good relationship and between them have done some great things. Ford know they would do great things and did not want to hurt the relationship between them. So the Duratec 30 Taurus was born. The '96 was going to come stock with the vulcan and the Duratec was only going to be an option. But thing turned out the way they did and who cares about the rest. - Spitzer

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Wasn't the 'tec always an option for the 96' and later model years? I thought the Vulcan was the standard and still is...

JR

·
Registered
19 Posts
I amend my last post. It was not going to be a normal option like Gl vs. Lx. It was going to be whole other beats. As a package aside from trim. All the Tauruses would have come with the vulcan. Even the Lx. Then you would have bought a touring/sports or whatever package that would have had the tec and a better supension. That type of deal. Ford did not want the Duratec taurus beacuse of the SHO. Why have a SHO with 235hp if for less you can get a 220hp Duratec (i am not sure but i think the durtec is lighter then sho motor too). Well the cure is a bastered 200hp duratec that is now a stock option. The fact that Ford tuned down the Duratec is also evident in how well it responds to modifacation. You give that thing some better breathing and you will get a much better result then with most other Ford motors.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Spitzer@Jun 16 2004, 12:57 PM
Remmber the Duratec 30 was not designed for the Taurus or any other car that has ever been produced. It was designed by Yamaha & Ford for a Mid Engine sports car that was going to be marketed to compete with the Toyota MR2 and the Pontiac Fiarro. Yes ford was going to make one too. The car never got built but Ford had planned on building it and preordered so many motors and was now in a contract with Yamaha. Ford and Yamaha had a good relationship and between them have done some great things. Ford know they would do great things and did not want to hurt the relationship between them. So the Duratec 30 Taurus was born.  But thing turned out the way they did and who cares about the rest. - Spitzer
Aren't you talking about the Yamaha V6's found in the Gen I and II SHO's here? I am pretty sure Yamaha didn't have anything to do with the Duratec. And you make references to the Fiero, well that was gone over half a decade before the Duratec came out.

The '96 was going to come stock with the vulcan and the Duratec was only going to be an option.
What do you mean? That is the way it went. 96's came with the vulcan standard and the 'tec as an option.

I think you need to do a bit more research.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No I meant what I said. And I know it is right. I saw allot of the development of the gen III sho as well since my uncle works for Ford I have had many chances to do kool things. That is why I own one too. Since he works their we get crazy discounts on cars. If you don't believe me, sorry. I have nothing to prove. Check it out yourself. I never said that the vulcan was not standard. What I did say is that the Duratec was not GOING to be a stock option. As it is and has been. It WAS only going to be sold in a performance package, aside from trim levels. - Spitzer Ford is like that. Just as the Gen III Probe never was. It became the Cougar. But is damb probe.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Spitzer,
WTF are you talking about? The Duratec was never developed with Yamaha. If you are so sure that it is, locate a news article or report that can back you up, otherwise, it is just all babbling BS.

The 1995 Contour/Mondeo was the first car to have a Duratec motor (2.5L), so obviously the motor was meant for mainstream passenger cars, not this mid-engine (wtf) Ford sports car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im trying to figure out what is going on. That guy says that you can really pep up the tec. by changing heads and intakes? or just intakes? I dont know.
Can someone clarify this?

·
Registered
746 Posts
back to the original topic of this post... another explanation to the 20Hp that mazda holds over ford... mazda hasnt had a spectacular record of telling the exact truth of their Hp figures in the past... look at the RX-8, they offered to buy them back from the owners when it was pointed out that the RX-8 had a very(read: noticably) large variance between the posted Hp numbers, and the actual numbers they laid out... so it is possible that while there are slight variations in the engine, there might not actually be a difference like they claim, perhaps maybe just a difference in where the power kicks in.

thats just my $.02 anyways. me and a friend were actually discussing this topic the other night and came to this conclusion.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I can see Yamaha and Ford going together on the Duratec 30, IIRC the 3.4 SHO is a 2.5 with 2 extra cylinders cast on

X

·
0 Posts
The duratec was prototyped by porche. It had clearance issues, so ford...uh...redesigned it :cry:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
A version of the 2.5L V6 was produced with two additional cylinders (3.4L V8) but was not called a Duratec officially. This engine was used in the Taurus SHO. However, Ford tend to prefer to adapt the Jaguar 4.0L V8 engine when a powerful V8 is required.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Ford%20Duratec

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
* Ford rather quietly introduced as a '96 its high-performance SHO (Super High Output) version of the Taurus. The SHO was a latercoming '96, so we're treating it like a '97. The little 3.4L DOHC V-8, based on the 2.5L Duratec V-6 and developed in conjunction with Yamaha, is a gem, but we wish the pudgy SHO could shed some of the mass that blunts the new V-8's appeal.

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_preview_automakers_rely/

·
Registered
746 Posts
so according to that article, there are only 4 different engine choices, but 10 different displacement options?? :confused: im a little skeptical on that. not to mention that there are 4 different mtors going by the duratec name, that is a bit odd to me, seems like ford would have the time to properly name their motors. this is not to contradict anyone here, just kind of calling out fomoco, and that article that was just posted. seems a tad odd to me

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I have looked at the 2.5, 3.0 and 3.4 and they all have similar looks to them, as well, the first link is a european link, so who knows what kinda engine sizes they had in them, the Zetec engines are now called Duratecs

1 - 20 of 33 Posts