Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car looks a lot like the one in the first post but no dule mufflers, and it comes stock with one and looking underneath of my car there isnt much room for dules but what do i know hehe, i did try talking to one person but they side they have never done it. maby i need to go to a specalty shop? i live near seattle any ideas? :blink: :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
104 Posts
SabelSal, love the duals - what Flowmaster model# did you get? How about some pics of the right-hand side and how the piping flows under the car. Any chance we can get a soundclip? I'd really like to hear a Duratec with dual Flowmasters!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Since Sal hasn't repsonded yet, I can tell you that he has Flowmaster 40's series Original flow mufflers (non-delta flow). His (and my car) as well as any Gen III Taurus/Sable that took the ABS option, got rear discs and dual exhaust. It's not true dual, meaning that it's 2 into 1 into 2, but just the stock exhaust sounds pretty mean.

I'm going to the same setup as Sal, with dual 40s. I just ordered mine and I'm waiting for the in the mail. I had originally been planning on doing a custom job with my gf's dad, where we were going to fab everything from the headers back, but it's just too much work for not enough payoff, so I'll just settle for the 40s and new high flow cats...

JR

·
Registered
90 Posts
I thought flows were supposed to be further back like were the resonater is. Its the only spot since there are ones with dual outlets to give a car have dual exhaust, but with another muffler on both ends....but, i think that would jack up back pressure, im guessin.. I have a 3.8 gen2 and want duals and was thinkin of having my cats gutted, res replaced by a flow with 2-outlets, havin an exhaust shop run the new duals and turbo mufflers on the end....so would that be bad or good...?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by TaurusRacerZ9@Jun 29 2004, 07:32 AM
I thought flows were supposed to be further back like were the resonater is. Its the only spot since there are ones with dual outlets to give a car have dual exhaust, but with another muffler on both ends....but, i think that would jack up back pressure, im guessin.. I have a 3.8 gen2 and want duals and was thinkin of having my cats gutted, res replaced by a flow with 2-outlets, havin an exhaust shop run the new duals and turbo mufflers on the end....so would that be bad or good...?
If i'm understanding you correctly you are talking about having a flowmaster with single in and dual out replace your resonator and then having a separate pipe coming out from each outlet of the flowmaster and then back to another set of mufflers (turbo mufflers you said) and then of course turn downs or something similar.

If I understood you correctly then no i wouldn't recommend that. The flowmasters are made to go where Sal has his in his picture. I'm no expert but i would think that configuration would create more back pressure. I have heard of others replacing their resonator with a glass pack like muffler but never with a single in and dual out and configuring their dual exhaust that way. I'd have to get under the car to see if they could even do that as far as routing the pipes and all but i think it would be more expensive that way.

I have dual Flowmaster 40 (not delta) like Sal has and godspunk32 is going to get and mine are installed the same as Sal. I've had them for several months now (less then a year) and love them. The only difference between the way i did it and the way Sal did it was i went with the offset in/out model to stick with the stock look.

Stock Exhaust System:
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/nbheck/automotive/98Sable/Exhaust/StockExhaust(1).jpg' alt='' width='933' height='486' class='attach' />[/url]

Mine:
[url=http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/nbheck/automotive/98Sable/Exhaust/DSC00817(2).jpg][img]http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/nbheck/automotive/98Sable/Exhaust/DSC00817(2).jpg' alt='' width='640' height='416' class='attach' />[/url]

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm going with the offset inlet and center exit. Sal and hitech both used chrome downturns for the exits, but i'm going to try to use chrome straight pipes...I think that'll look bada$$!!!

JR

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looking good... my current plan is dual Flowmaster Delta 50's on my Gen 4 Duratec. It has a stock 2.5" pipe that I will split into two 2" pipes at the rear wheels - waiting for time to take it to the local muffler shop to get an est. and I will get the Flowmasters from Jegs most likely.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 29 2004, 08:51 AM
I'm going with the offset inlet and center exit.  Sal and hitech both used chrome downturns for the exits, but i'm going to try to use chrome straight pipes...I think that'll look bada$$!!!

JR
Actually i just went with plain old aluminized steel pipe for my turn downs, the guys at the shop made them for 5 bucks a piece. I couldn't see spending the 40-50 bucks per turn down for stainless steel and the chrome ones will usually rust within less then a year.

When i got it home from the exhaust shop I just painted my whole system from the front y pipe back with an exhaust manifold paint (aluminum color) and cured it by running the car for about an hour after doing so. It's been several months and no rust. :)

I had considered the straight pipes also but wanted to keep the stock look, thus why i went with the offset mufflers also.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I really need to talk to my gf's dad about what I'm going to do for the exit pipes. He'll know much more about it than I can hope to (he just put side exit pipes on his 86' Camaro with a 460 big block). I like what you did with the paint...do you have any pictures? I'm thinking that I might just unbolt the entire system when I do the mufflers and paint everything off the car, since that would be hella easier than painting from beneath. If it were easier to do, I might even take the manifolds off and paint them after sanding off the rust.

I'm not worried about having a stock look. Everyone is going to know I've got something cool throwing out my exhaust, so I'll go for what looks a little better than stock...

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Jun 29 2004, 08:52 AM
Looking good... my current plan is dual Flowmaster Delta 50's on my Gen 4 Duratec. It has a stock 2.5" pipe that I will split into two 2" pipes at the rear wheels - waiting for time to take it to the local muffler shop to get an est. and I will get the Flowmasters from Jegs most likely.
Might I suggest you check www.performance-curve.com for your exhaust part needs. I got my flowmasters from them for 45 each and their prices seem to be cheaper then most of the other places I found. They do sell, on ebay so it's possible to find them there but they have the same prices on their website as on ebay. They guy I spoke with there was very friendly and knowledgeable.

BTW, you will get the same performance out of the 50 Delta as the 40 original but the Delta's will be quieter then the original 40's. That quietness will cost you about 25-30 per muffler more then an original 40 series. I'm not trying to change you mind, just letting you know incase you weren't aware of that. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
So how would it cost to run dual 40's on a Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 29 2004, 10:35 AM
I really need to talk to my gf's dad about what I'm going to do for the exit pipes. He'll know much more about it than I can hope to (he just put side exit pipes on his 86' Camaro with a 460 big block). I like what you did with the paint...do you have any pictures? I'm thinking that I might just unbolt the entire system when I do the mufflers and paint everything off the car, since that would be hella easier than painting from beneath. If it were easier to do, I might even take the manifolds off and paint them after sanding off the rust.

I'm not worried about having a stock look. Everyone is going to know I've got something cool throwing out my exhaust, so I'll go for what looks a little better than stock...

JR
Yeah it would have been much easier to have taken down the system and paint it that way if it were normal paint. The paint i used leaves a power coat on the object that needs to be cured buy either baking it in an oven or by heating it up by use (like when i ran the car for an hour) within 6-8 hours of application. My only concern is that if you took the system off and then painted it with this paint it would come off on your hands when you went to place the system back on, i just got underneath it with some cardboard and shielded the underbody (not as well as i would have liked in some areas <_< ) and then painted it that way.

I'm planning on doing the manifold some day since it's highly unlikely headers will ever be made for the duratec.

I'm not sure what specific picture(s) you might be looking for but here is a better picture of the rear y pipe with was painted in this paint also, things are a bit dirty under there as this was taken a while after it was installed/painted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Jun 29 2004, 10:49 AM
So how would it cost  to run dual 40's on a Vulcan?
I'm assuming you don't have duals already. If that is the case it all depends on if you want to upgrade the rest of the pipes or just run duals and replace from after the resonator. You'd have to check with a local custom exhaust shop near you to see how much they would charge to create that rear y-pipe in the diagram i posted above.

The majority of my exhaust cost was the creation (or recreation in my case) of that y-pipe since i upsized when i did my exhaust. The dual flowmaster 40's will cost you around 100-110 shipped and then the rest depends on what all you have done. If you only have them install those and you don't have duals already and they need to create that rear y-pipe then i would guess the labor would be between 100-200. Although prices vary from location to location. You could also see how much the stock 1.75" rear y-pipe would be (for gen3) but if you are spending the money IMO it would be better spent to have them custom make you a larger diameter one then go with the stock 1.75".

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You could also use pipe adapters that go fromt he stock size to whatever size you wanted. I'll have to use 1.75" to 2.25" adapters for each size. You might also be able to find a 'tec with the duals in the junkyard and cut the existing system off after the flex-pipe, then have it adapted to work with your car, which shouldn't be that much of a problem. They would probably need to add a couple of exhaust hangers and possibly an adapter fitting, then weld your new mufflers and exhaust hangers in there.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jun 29 2004, 10:55 AM

The reason I didn't go with Flows is because in '04 they moved the fuel vapor/ emissions BS from under the spare tire to next to the spare tire so a full size muffler won't fit on the right side of the car now.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000+Jun 29 2004, 12:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3-fords1000 @ Jun 29 2004, 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hightecredneck@Jun 29 2004, 10:55 AM

The reason I didn't go with Flows is because in '04 they moved the fuel vapor/ emissions BS from under the spare tire to next to the spare tire so a full size muffler won't fit on the right side of the car now.[/b][/quote]
Ah got ya :icon_idea: , well that just sucksass that they did that :angry:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts