Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered two Flowmaster Mufflers off eBay (new ones), Im adding it to my 1998 Mercury Sable Duratec 24V. I was wondering... would I have a better chance getting a good sound leaving the resonator on? or taking the darn thing off? Aslo if I remove the resonator, would that be bad for the motor, seeing that Im going to be releasing some backpressure with the flows + Straight Piping. If anyone has recorded their Sable/Taurus revving up with flows... that way I get some-what of an Idea of what Im looking forward to.

Thanks guys

SS
(~SableSal)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think you'll be better leaving the resonator on. AFAIK taking the resonator off of a Duratec makes it sound a little raspy. I have a recording of my Vulcan with a Flowmaster 40 Series Deltaflow - just go to the "My TCCA Pics" link in my sig and you will see myexhaust.wav in there. You can download that and hear it. Good luck with your swap! Get us a recording if you can.

btw... my entire exhaust is stock other than the muffler.
Gotta love factory mandrel bends

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Mar 18 2004, 02:34 PM
I think you'll be better leaving the resonator on. AFAIK taking the resonator off of a Duratec makes it sound a little raspy.
A LITTLE? Dude I drove you around in my 24 valve sewing machine in January.

A flow 40 is just like a straight pipe with a couple baffles in it.

You will not really gain horsepower...maybe 2-3...do the whole system from the cats on back if you want power.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I went to the exhaust shop to check and see what I can do today. Well.... they told me that I would have better luck taking off the resonator. But I think I would be the best judge of that. So what Ima do is this, have just the 40 Series added on... then turn on the car. I wanna hear how it sounds, if it's not as loud or meaty as I want it to be, then I'll have em rip off the resonator. Thanks for all the input guys, I'll do a recording of mine as soon as I get it done. It should be in about a week or so. Thanks

~SS

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Mar 18 2004, 02:34 PM
I have a recording of my Vulcan with a Flowmaster 40 Series Deltaflow - just go to the "My TCCA Pics" link in my sig and you will see myexhaust.wav in there. You can download that and hear it. Good luck with your swap! Get us a recording if you can.
Sweet Sound!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Everyone,

Well I thought I was going to get them installed this Tuesday.... but I think that might change. I have this compitition with "PEPBOYS" to go to. It's called an "INSTALLER RODEO" It's to see how fast a tire guy can get one tire dismounted and mounted on one Rim in the fastest time. So... I think I might still drop it off.... but Im not sure. Umm.... I'll let you guys know as soon as I get the Flows put on my car. I'll make a .wav file out of it. Thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
definitely drive the car around for a while first. flowmaster 40's get louder after a couple weeks as they break in, so don't judge the sound when they are first installed, they will get louder. and trust me on the rasp, it's bad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Mar 20 2004, 12:33 PM
definitely drive the car around for a while first. flowmaster 40's get louder after a couple weeks as they break in, so don't judge the sound when they are first installed, they will get louder. and trust me on the rasp, it's bad.
It took my flowmaster 40's probably about a month before they were fully broken in.
So yea, definitely drive around with it. It might be a little raspy at first too - again, let it break in.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Capital Punishment+Mar 20 2004, 01:30 PM-->QUOTE (Capital Punishment @ Mar 20 2004, 01:30 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Twilight
@Mar 20 2004, 12:33 PM
It took my flowmaster 40's probably about a month before they were fully broken in.
So yea, definitely drive around with it. It might be a little raspy at first too - again, let it break in. [/b]
Yeah mine took a while to break in, too. Probably ~ a month. They WILL get louder.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 3-fords1000+Mar 19 2004, 06:58 AM-->QUOTE (3-fords1000 @ Mar 19 2004, 06:58 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Mar 18 2004, 02:34 PM
I have a recording of my Vulcan with a Flowmaster 40 Series Deltaflow - just go to the "My TCCA Pics" link in my sig and you will see myexhaust.wav in there.  You can download that and hear it.  Good luck with your swap!  Get us a recording if you can. 
Sweet Sound!
[/b]
Thanks!

btw... I forgot you had straight piped exhaust Alex, yeah the Duratec sounds so funny w/o a resonator I actually busted up laughing when I heard it... so be careful.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys, I got the Flows put on today. I would have to say that it is the cleanest sounding Sable I have ever heard!!! Im really impressed with the way it came out... Thanks again for all the have helped. I appreciate the help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I ran around with no resonator and no muffler for about a week and my god.

It sounded awesome at ldle but when i hit the gas it sounded like a Cessna i was definatley ready for take off.

I also ran the DP High flow y-pipe no resonator and Dynomax Super turbos was ok until the secondaries opened up and then it was raspy.

I now have a resonator installed and I have had good comments on the sound my car makes I working on getting some video.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts