Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding dual exhausts to my 01 duratech. Would I gain any horsepower or any other benefits other than it looking much better? Would the quasi-duals fit? Could I get the duals off a 98 duratech and just put them on? I'm just thinking of std exhausts, not the flowmasters.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
To answer your questions in order:

1) No. They are primarily for looks. If you change the mufflers to a straight thru design (Flowmaster, MagnaFlow, etc.) you might gain 1-2 ponies at the top end.

2) Yes. You will need the additional hanger for the right rear.

3) Yes. (refer to #2) The Gen 4 Taurus uses a larger diameter exhaust pipe than the Gen 3. Gen 3 = 2" Gen 4 = 2.25"

If I were going to do this, I would use the 98's quasi duals and cut the exhaust about 3-6" before the rear split. Then remove the Gen 4's and line the two up on the floor with one on top of the other. Cut the Gen 4's exhaust at the same location as the Gen 3's. Use an exhaust reducer to connect the Gen 4 to the Gen 3's rear duals and use clamps to hold it in place. Once the entire assembly is mounted to the car, loosen the clamps and line up the rear duals so they hang correctly and evenly.

AFAIK the Gen 4 has the bolt hole for the right rear hanger. You can use the hanger from the Gen 3 and bolt it in place. The left and right hangers are the same part.

With the diameter reduction so far back in the system and just before the split, there will not be any detrimental effect on power. Replacing the stock mufflers with a performance muffler would help.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS! I should have known that ford would have probably have gone to a larger diameter exhaust when they dropped the duals off the duratech. Appreciate the performance info too.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Flowmasters aren't a straight through design. Magnaflow and Borla are though.

The duratec can probably gain more than a couple ponies with a new exhaust.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I always had duals on my 'tec, but they were the original Ford mufflers. For a movie of a 'tec with dual Flowmaster 40s, go here. They've changed tone a bit, as they've gotten more mellow and much less raspy. They sound great going down the expressway at like 75 or so.

My experience is that the car is maybe just a tad less responsive in the low end with the freer flowing mufflers. It is much more responsive top end though. ONce I get to like 2000 rpm, it's on. On the highway, I can really feel the difference between lik 55 and 80.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Duals on the g4 usually are a fairly custom job, mostly because of the fuel evaporation lines that run right where the new passenger side pipe will go. It is quite do-able, just takes some time and effort.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to Spridget, I know that the gen 3 exhaust piping is 2 in. vs. the gen 4's 2.25 in. Does anyone know the diameter of the 98/99 SHO exhaust? If that doesn't work, is it possible to fit the SHO exhaust tip on the end of my duratec exhaust pipe without too much hassle?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
A problem you will run into on the gen 4's is that you cant just bolt on a gen 3 exhaust. The fuel fill lines on a gen 4 are diffrent and are in the way of where the gen3 piping would sit. So youll need to change a few fuel lines, or go with a custom y pipe.

This information is from observations on damons 2k gen 4

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Paul...that is an awesome idea... heck yeah for side exhaust!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I've got duals w/ dual tips on my Gen 4. It looks and sounds awsome, but really I've taken away too much backpressure and lost some low end. I have 2.5" pipe from the end of the front y-pipe back. I'm running a Magnaflow resinator and two flowmaster 40's. The exhaust is almost too loud for me though. It was fun for a while, but it kinda gets on your nerves. I'd have like to give the Flowmaster deltaflow 40's a try. This exhaust setup will get your exhaust sound within a stones throw of a 8 cyl SHO w/ exhaust work.

If you're looking for performance, I reccomend you don't open up your exhaust w/ out some significant air induction modifications. The loss of backpressure and extra weight isn't worth it.

If you're looking for sound, this is a good choice. There are probably better ones. I got my exhaust from a '98 vulcan wagon. The owner was returning the wagon to stock to sell. Basically I paid the labor for it and they swapped the two exhausts. I had a seperate shop relocate the evaporation lines first and the resinator on the new pipe had to be relocated on my car. The bend in the pipe that clears the rear suspention also had to be modified.

I don't know if these changes are because it was a wagon and not a sedan or because it was a Gen 3 and not a gen 4. I would guess at the former being the case, but just make sure you meansure twice and cut once.

Also, you might consider putting a flex pipe in when you install the duals on a Gen 4. The Gen 3's had this and the gen 4 doesn't. I haven't really gotten a good answer why, but I figure with a dual exhaust there is even less movement in the exhaust pipe to compensate for the engine movement. If you use clamps up front rather then welding that might work too.

A couple pics:

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=91938&f=.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=91939&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=91939&f=.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

-Dan

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I really like the sidepipe idea on that SHO. I would like to hear how that thing sounds...probably pretty damn mean.

My gf's dad has an 86' Camaro with a 454 bored over to 460, and he has side exhaust. Hooker ceramic coated equal length headers, custom H-pipe, turbo mufflers to side exhaust. It looks totally badass!

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Dan...just noticed that you fuzzed out your license plate well on those pictures, but your plate in your sig isn't fuzzed out...

JR

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Yeah, I don't even know why I bother anymore. If someone wants to find me, it's not that hard.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan, Thanks very much for the info. Your car looks great with the duals!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by duraSEL01@Sep 7 2004, 06:46 PM
Dan, Thanks very much for the info. Your car looks great with the duals!
agreed. :chili:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Sep 7 2004, 11:55 PM
I like the side exhaust, but I'm afraid it would not work for me.... clearance problems on a lowered car :(

The drop in #'s would be the best part!
Im lowered....

You wont have problems with it unless you do an "under-bumper" setup like mine. And even then...you just have to go into steeeeeep driveways slowly. Just a minor drawback to the dual duals.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes+Sep 8 2004, 11:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taurussetypes @ Sep 8 2004, 11:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-spridget@Sep 7 2004, 11:55 PM
I like the side exhaust, but I'm afraid it would not work for me.... clearance problems on a lowered car  :(

The drop in #'s would be the best part!
Im lowered....

You wont have problems with it unless you do an "under-bumper" setup like mine. And even then...you just have to go into steeeeeep driveways slowly. Just a minor drawback to the dual duals. [/b][/quote]
I'm refering to the side exhaust..... not the rear exit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts