Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an exhaust shop to install a cool pretendo dual-exhaust on my 2004 Taurus. It looks like the pipe going to the passenger side is going to be mighty close to those fuel lines ahead of the gas tank. I don't need any explosions.

So, how did you like-minded exhaust dual people handle this? I thought I might be able to find some heat-resistant braided hose or something to fit around the gas line. Or, maybe those lines can be snugged toward the top of the undercarriage with a hanger or something. Any best practices I should stick to for this?

I'm chopping off the resonator and everything behind it. I ordered a three by 30-inch chambered muffler to go in the resonator's place. See it

Then the pipe behind it will split rear of the suspension parts and exit in stock looking fashion. The muffler cost me $80 shipped and the welding and fitting work (including a pair of stock looking chrome tips) will be $155. Not too bad I figure.

I think this is going to sound nice and look cool. If anyone can give me heads up on how not to ignite flammable liquids with my new pipes, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah I think the suggestions will be to wrap in heat resistant...something.

Wait for more suggestions, they'll be here soon. :3_eyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I hope some folks chime in here. I've got a little while to figure out what to do, though. I won't be having the work done until the last few weeks of the month.

From all the pictures I've looked at while searching exhaust threads, none of the fuel lines look to be protected from the tail pipe at all. But, I'm sure someone has thought about this problem and hopefully I'll hear about it. B)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
No need for any heat shields around the fuel lines. I have dual exhaust and its doing just fine. Pipes do get hot but not hot enough too do any damage... and the pipe that will run near the fuel lines is going to be pretty cool compared to the one on the other side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool for the help guys. I'll be conservative and go with the header wrap and zip ties. It's also good to hear it doesn't get too hot anyway. I'm pretty excited to hear the new sound.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Get some heat/header wrap. The 04+ cars have the fuel evap canister on the passenger side where a muffler would be in a "dual" setup. Most people with the 04+ cars will either just have a pipe on that side (no mufflers in the rear), or have the dual mufflers hanging down low to avoid contact with the evap canister.

The 96-03 cars just have to route the pipe a few inches away from the fuel evap lines, and they're set. Those cars have the evap canister on the bottom of the spare tire well.

Good luck to you, and be careful with your exhaust routing!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I wouldn't use heat wrap as it tends to collect moisture and cause parts to rust faster. I would make sure you are not close to fuel lines or go for ceramic paint or coating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Contour SVT utilized an aluminum heat shield that was strapped onto the offending exhaust element. For example, the passenger side muffler stock from the factory has an aluminum heat shield strapped on it - not welded. The shield is strapped front & rear, the rest of the shield is lifted up off the muffler about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to allow air circulation. Works very well, it's light, and it would be EASY to fab your own if you're worried about direct exhaust heat.

If it's good enough for the guys at SVT...?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I initially thought about a dual exhaust setup too, but there is a giant lump of C**P mounted where the passenger muffler should go.

1. What the heck is that thing? I'm guessing it's part of the fuel vapor recovery system.

2. Can I get rid of it or replace it with a setup from a previous gen?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. Looks like I have a couple options to avoid a meltdown. I think the biggest help is me not going with mufflers in the rear. That evap canister (whatever that is) would definitely make a muffler back there implausible without some modifications. I'm going with a long muffler where the resonator is, so at least all I have to worry about are the pipes. Whenever I get this installed I'll make a clip with my digital camera. I'm just hoping it's not so loud that one week later I have to install another muffler behind the first one. Although it would be worse if my car starts to run like crap because of the change. We'll see.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not to highjack or anything but loudsho I saw that magnaflow resonator on shosource yesterday. Does it make any sound difference over the stock one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (03FordTaurus @ Jun 8 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810551
Not to highjack or anything but loudsho I saw that magnaflow resonator on shosource yesterday. Does it make any sound difference over the stock one?[/b]
That reminds me. Anyone think this idea is going to end up way the heck too loud? Cool is good. Stupid loud is bad. The body of the chambered muffler to be is 26 inches by three inches, maybe 32 inches total length. I've never done any exhaust modification on a V6 before. The guy at the welding shop goes "ya know, this is gonna sound different."

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Depends on your definition of "too loud". If you keep the 3rd cat on your car, it'll probably be tolerable, but far from quiet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where is the third cat? When the car was up on the rack, I didn't see three. Just the two on the Y-pipe up front. Unless there's one just ahead of the resonator behind the first two which I may have believed was a collector for the y-pipe. Is this the case? We spent most of the time looking at the rear of the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
well i was going to post last night but yeah...

ok so i have basically the same setup on my tec i believe mine is 4 inch round cant remember all the details... anyway it is not quiet. search on youtube for "sable magnaflow" you will find it

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is it a direct swap? Can I just take the stock resonator off and then put the new one on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i was going to post last night but yeah...

ok so i have basically the same setup on my tec i believe mine is 4 inch round cant remember all the details... anyway it is not quiet. search on youtube for "sable magnaflow" you will find it
Doesn't sound awful at all. Is that Magnaflow unit a resonator or a muffler? If a muffler, which type?

This is the thing I'm going with: Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - FAQ. Man I can't wait to get it on there and see what I've got. Did you lose any power by switching to your setup?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
mine was a round muffler i had put in place of the resonator and then just straight piped and split to duels with gen 3 sho tips

1 - 20 of 32 Posts