Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yup, using the water to dry the car still works well on my '97.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh... sorry, no chamois on my car... neither do the pros... oily and scratches...

Recs: get a good MF plush to use after you blow off the water that sheeting action won't remove

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Is compressed air considered an acceptable method of removing water? I don't like using the chamois or old towels...the chamois seems like it could scratch and the old towels don't get all the water.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Is compressed air considered an acceptable method of removing water? I don't like using the chamois or old towels...the chamois seems like it could scratch and the old towels don't get all the water.
The high velocity of compressed air coming out of a little nozzle will make things worse by breaking up the droplets into smaller pieces which will splatter everywhere. If you want to use air, go with a leaf blower or large blower like a car wash uses. But yes, sheeting the water first will reduce the amount of water remaining you have to dry off (it takes twice as many towels to dry my car if I don't sheet the water).

Another method for a blow dry is to hop in and drive the car 60+ MPH immediately after the rinse. This only works if you are out in the middle of nowhere and have empty roads.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i use microfiber towels to dry off my car. i have painstakenly made my paint almost perfect (proper cut and buffs) and i have a very very good coat of wax and sealants so the water pretty much falls off. Most microfiber towels dont absorb when they are dry, but get your towel wet and wring it out so its barely damp will pick up a lot more water. itll streak a little but thats when you come behind it with a dry towel to buff the streaks off. My method. Doesnt work for everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A blow dryer is the best route and what the real pros use ;) , after sheeting the water off with a garden hose (gets most of it)... :excl:

IMHO the best is a dual 4-8HP Metrovac MegaBlaster.... My detail guy uses it, and I bought one too (about $300 new on Amazon)... It moves the water out of all the little nooks and crannies that give you those water streaks 2 hours later or after you drive. too... The small droplets are never a problem with this... I started with a dedicated electric leaf blower and a homemade cheese cloth intake filter... a few minor spots with this that water and no pressure plush MF remove. :D

Point is... No mineral deposits (it's why you see the dried water spot), plus minimum to no rubbing. You simply can't rub a car finish without scratching it.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Yeah on a well waxed and polished finish that works well! I need to do my spring detail soon. Wax is almost gone now.

High quality microfiber towels are not very likely to damage the paint. I love products from Adam's Polishes. Best stuff around and made in the USA. Their great white drying towel and double soft microfiber are awesome.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I still haven't used my detailing spray from Adam's. Hopefully once I'm home for the summer I can do an exterior wash and detail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts