Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bought my 01 SES in May. The dealer was the previous owner. It is a very nice dealership with a great reputation. In fact, the manager lives right down the road from me.

The dealer was saying the car had almost brand new continental tires on the car. Fine and dandy.

I go to get it inspected today and I get a call from the garage and the guy said that the back passenger tire is almost completely dry rotted. :angry: DRY ROTTED! I couldn't talk to him for long as I was walking into class, but he said it would not pass inspection w/o a new tire. So I said to put two new tires on the front and put the front tires that are there now on the back.

So my question: should I contact the dealer about this? I got an extended warranty but I'd highly doubt it would cover tires. I just get worried thinking what COULD've happened. The tread was very good on the tires. But that back passenger tire was so bad and the mechanic said the other back tire was dry rotted too, but not as bad.

So should I call? If I do, I wanna do it this afternoon after class.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Contact the dealer first and if you get no results, go to one of the larger tire retailers in your area that sell those type of tires. I'm pretty sure that Continental is a part of General tire. Hopefully, you also kept the tires. You can go to their website and learn how to decode the manufacturing date of the tires.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know this is a little off, but I couldn't resist mentioning it after seeing this topic posted. My father has this habit of not toucing his tires unless the tread is low. This could go for years! I ought to know. I bought his old car from him (it was a Chrysler which has since been disposed off), and as the first winter approached, I knew I had to check the thing over. After careful inspection, I noticed the tires had plenty of tread life, but the sidewalls were all cracked and looked like roadmaps. With that in mind, I took it into the Zellers Auto that I knew (it used to be Kmart at one time), and had the mechanic I knew very well replace all four tires. Each tire when placed on the machine for removal literally disenigrated into pieces. Should have seen the look on his face. His question? How long have these tires been on the car? I told him I had no idea. I was lucky I decided to take it in. Strange part is, I even asked my father before I took in for the tires about the sidewalls. Ah he said, nothing wrong with them. Plenty of tread. Needless to say, he didn't say much when I told him what happened when they took the tires off the rims. To this day, he's still doing it. He'll only replace a tire of the tread is low or it keeps going flat. Presently , his tires don't look too healthy, and yes, the sidewalls are starting to look like roadmaps on his car. Good thing he never leaves town with it. I'll probably start nagging him soon though.Being in his mid-seventies is not the time to take chances to change a tire.

Sorry, couldn't resist mentioning this. Since the original poster just bought their car and not knowing the exact details, it can't hurt to mention it to the dealership, although it might not produce the results he/she wants.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
guy any picture of those really old tire i never saw a tire do that before nothere where it really cold

a pic would be nice ?

:lol2:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Originally posted by mooby@Oct 22 2004, 01:12 AM
guy any picture of those really old tire i never saw a tire do that before nothere where it really cold

a pic would be nice ?

:lol2:
Not from me, sorry. It was back in 1998. I don't think my father would be too happy if I went over to his place and took a picture of his tires :lol2:
He wouldn't be too impressed, although I'd love to show folks what NOT to do. As far as the cold, it gets as cold here as it does there (I'm in Northern Ontario). Maybe the original poster here can take a pic of his tire. I'd like to see it as well, although I've never seen any quite as bad as mine were. I honestly had no idea what it was till the mechanic explained it (that and the dangers of what could happen).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts