Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well driving home today the car seemed a bit sluggish and shaking. When I got in the driveway, smoke was pouring out of the rear wheel wells ... I drove 20 miles with the parking brake on.

the rear brakes now make a groaning noise when I put them on ...

Just how much damage did I do?

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back are drum brakes. If it was a disc brake I would just replace in 20 minutes.

The fluid definitely boiled - it blew the little rubber cap for the bleeder off.

I'm more concerned with doing damage to wheel bearings

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if you need anything let me know i still have all the parts from my rear drums that i will let go cheap. i have drums, brackets, cylinders, ebrake cables, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
QUOTE (tesmith @ Jul 14 2009, 06:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739473
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jul 14 2009, 06:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739460
if you need anything let me know i still have all the parts from my rear drums that i will let go cheap. i have drums, brackets, cylinders, ebrake cables, etc.[/b]
hi, did you do a rear conversion?
[/b][/quote]

yes i did, my car now has rear discs.
as a side note everything i pulled off my car was in working order although i do not know the thickness of the shoes or drums

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up driving about 100 miles yesterday. Don't think I did any damage other than wearing out the rear shoes.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
change the fluid :)

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I did the same thing once, except with discs in back. They were pretty much smoking about 5 miles down the road, because I ram the parking brake down as hard as it goes every time. I just forgot it once, and drove through town going 35 until I started seeing smoke in my side view mirrors and stopped, went to kick the brake down, only to realize it was still in.

Pads got worn down pretty bad, but everything else seemed fine. Fluid got boiled, but that wasn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
424 Posts
None of you noticed the Brake light on the dash? Then again on both of my Taurses, the light only worked about 1/2 the time, lol. I always make sure to jiggle the switch that tuns the light on so I remember that the parking brake is engaged. And to anyone who's still works... use it regularly! I discoverd that if you dont use it you lose it, so to speak, LOL.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My light is a hit and miss kind of thing. I'm just too lazy to fix it, especially since I know I always set it so I should remember to release it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
If the car doesn't move when you put it in gear, then something is wrong. That's how I know the parking brake is on. I never try to give it gas if it won't move.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 19 2009, 11:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740666
If the car doesn't move when you put it in gear, then something is wrong. That's how I know the parking brake is on. I never try to give it gas if it won't move.[/b]
I dropped the idle so low it doesn't really go anywhere by itself unless it's flat or downhill.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i adjusted my e-brake to where the wheels are locked so when I go to put it in 'D' it can't go nowhere. is it bad to adjust it that tight? still got plenty of thread.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Depends. If you adjust it too tight, then the shoes might be lightly rubbing on the drum while you're driving. Jack up the rear of the car with the brake off and spin both rear wheels. If the wheel turns with little resistance, then it's fine. If it feels like it's slowing down way too fast, you overtightened it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts