Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Went on a family vacation today, drove through a little town where there was about 6" of water across the road (major flooding on the Fox River in WI for anyone who knows the area). Anyway, on the way back home I noticed that the exhaust sounds VERY LOUD - I mean, it sounds good in a way, but the sound is coming from up by the engine. My dad things the exhaust manifold may have been ready to go, and when it hit the cold water in the road it cracked. Any thoughts on that? I also noticed that the engine seems to have lost a little power, would a hole in the exhaust manifold do that?

If that's the case, we might be able to just patch it up for now.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
That estimate sounds pretty spot on; a piece of thick, rusty metal subjected to extremely quick cooling and heating is susceptible to cracking. It's not the hardest thing to diagnose, though; just put the car on ramps with the engine on and go looking for the source of the sound. A crack or break in a joint large enough to produce a large sound increase would be very easily noticed.

As for the performance, there's a good chance that an exhaust leak would be at fault. The best way to find out, of course, is to find the crack/hole/whatever and fix it, and then see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a similar problem...Crack in the y-pipe just after the cats. Had it welded and problem solved. It never occured to me that it could have been from the puddles (some big ones) i drove thru before it happend. :)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my dad had a chance to look at the car this morning, he says there's a crack in the exhaust where the clamp is before the cat. Sad thing is, Furd put a whole new exhaust system in right after I bought the car... which I guess is 5 years now already :blink: oh well, I'll call the shop and see if they can get it welded, or if not, what the cost is. Since my folks are using the car this summer (A/C died on theirs), they might be willing to foot part of the bill :banana:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Which car is this? The 98' SHO? Check on www.partsgalaxy.com or on ebay and you might be able to find a brand new exhaust manifold that you should be able to put on yourself, if you have a little bit of mechanical aptitude and a little bit more time...

JR

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also do yourself a favor and check that the horns still work. On Gen III's they're mounted WAY low on the front frame rails and if the water was high enough to crack a hot pipe then could have shorted the horns too. I know. ;)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, this is on the '91. Most people would have thrown in the towl long ago LOL... but I want to see 200k out of the original engine and tranny :D

Besides, I doubt I'd let my folks drive my SHO ;)

edit:

To clear up any confusion, the crack is not by the exhaust manidold, it's right before the last cat. If it's legal, I might as well just have them cut out the 3rd cat and put in a straight pipe through there as well, if it will be cheaper B) .

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't be legal...as long as the engine is still in good running order and doesn't smoke, you should be able to get away with just the two cats for inspection and emissions. Get them to cut out the cat and replace it with a straight pipe...it'll cut down on the exhaust restrictions...

JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts