Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, anyone done it this way before?

One way or the other i'll find out, just gimme a heads up before i go out in the cold tmw :)

(i'll post pics from under there when i try)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
what are u typing to fix...? oil pan gasket..

well ya the pan can rather has to be removed from the botton

gotto disconect the exhaust pipe from the motor. front & back. This was the case in my gen 3. those exh. pipe flanges had to be heated with a torch to get the bolts loose.. esp the ones on the back.. not enough space to work there

B

·
0 Posts
Let's hope so. We're doing Racer X's rod bearings tomorrow, and I wasn't planning on dropping the subframe or pulling the motor. I should check the service CD, eh?

B

·
0 Posts
Checked the CD:

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

3. Drain oil pan.

4. Remove oil filter element.

5. Position drain pan out of the way.

6. Remove catalytic converter assembly.

7. Remove starter motor.

8. Remove torque converter housing cover.

9. Remove bolts retaining oil pan assembly.

10. Remove oil pan assembly.

So yeah, it's doable in the subframe.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Procedure is basically the same for a Vulcan, I had to replace the pan on my '93 after I put a hole in it. (Car was jacked up by the subframe, slipped when I was lowering it and the jack went right through the pan... woops)

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup its possible, almost easy even :)

A lot less trouble than pulling the engine.

Pics coming tonight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Jan 16 2004, 06:06 PM
Procedure is basically the same for a Vulcan, I had to replace the pan on my '93 after I put a hole in it. (Car was jacked up by the subframe, slipped when I was lowering it and the jack went right through the pan... woops)
OMG. I can almost hear the effing hymers now.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As promised :)

Look closely at the ex manifold you can see that damn bolt that broke today grrrrrr, at least the rest came out - ace hardware here i come.

That sound ISNT coming from the pickup tube support like i'd hoped <_< I dont see anything *obviously* wrong, i'm changing all the rod bearings now, to see if that helps, if not its gonna have to wait until warmer temps.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When doing those rod bearings reattaching that starter motor helps a lot. Its annoying trying to turn the engine over by hand - impossible if you use the drive on ramps like I did yesterday. Just have a *reliable* friend click it over for 1/2 second or so until u can get at the nuts. Even better : use a remote starter.

Just for the love of God dont forget to unhook that coil to cap wire, I wont wanna read about anyone getting all twisted up into the rotating assembly

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
whats that long thin wire like stuff sticking out of the oil pick up?
I did not see that in my 96 GL, when the pan was dropped

B

·
0 Posts
Looks like reisual oil draining from the pickup tube.

That pic also looks VERY familiar.
Hamal did his yesterday, everything went pretty well, and his theory was correct. #4 was trashed. He took pics, and should be posting them at some point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts